Anyone watching BBQ Brawl: Flay V. Simon on Food Network?

I'm watching it. The thing I don't like about typical BBQ shows is that they don't have time to make BBQ because it is a timed competition. It is really more like grilling than BBQ.

Barb and I wanted to watch it but fell asleep before it came on.:p Going to watch it tonight.

Yes. The format is rather deceiving since many of the contestants are "ringers" from other BBQ competition shows in the past. Also, they should be doing blind judging to even the playing field. I'm pretty sure Tuffy Stone is going to be in the final, wink, wink, nod, nod.

Hi All Not a good format for the BBQ/Smokers competitors. What it boils down is just grilling..One guy tired to do ribs in 1 hr, didn't work out so good for him>
DanB

To be honest, I’m really kind of bored with the whole “competition format” that has become so constant on the tube anymore. I have stopped watching almost all of those channels. It all about “buy my cookware” ad nauseam. I’d prefer to spend my time tending a grill or smoker and read, play music, write, etc. of course with a pleasant beverage at the ready.
Have a few buddies over get tuned, make music, grill huffing away in the background until it’s ready for dinner.
Bobby Flay doesn’t need my money, he’s doing just fine.

Barb and I watched it last night and honestly I didn't think much of it. Just your typical Food Network game show. More grilling than barbeque. Not enough time to make anything requiring low and slow. Don't think we will be watching any more in the future.

They tried to do a show, BBQ Blitz that had a similar issue. I only watched a few episodes, but they tried to have the pit-masters incorporate some of their barbecue into another dish in the allotted time. I didn't feel like that worked. I figure these shows probably already have a pretty miserable production schedule and accommodating low and slow cooking might be too much to ask. Instead of a 12 hour day they'd have a 20 hour day at least. It probably just doesn't make sense. I'll give this one a chance, though.

Barb and I watched it last night and honestly I didn't think much of it. Just your typical Food Network game show. More grilling than barbeque. Not enough time to make anything requiring low and slow. Don't think we will be watching any more in the future.
Pretty much what I thought it would be like, no plans to watch it whatsoever.
Remember when the Food channel used to be about food, the Travel channel about travel, and the History channel about history? When was the last time you saw a garden on Home and Garden?

Most of the cooking competitions I just can't watch. I did watch a lot of the early Iron Chef America, but when the tricks started like "ya gotta use <x> equipment" they kind of lost me. From what I've seen of BBQ Brawl, I'm not even tempted to watch.

About the only competition that I've been watching is Beat Bobby Flay, that format seems to work. It's an outgrowth of Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay that I also enjoyed. Those are just simple straight up competition.

One thing I did notice is that Weber doesn't have much of a presence in this one. A few scattered kettles but the rest appear to be offsets no charcoal summits.

I watched it yesterday, and..... meh.

The 'cook this thing as fast as possible' format is getting way overdone. Also, it seemed weird that Tuffy Stone is a contestant, and not a judge or something. Same thing with Lee Ann Whippen; why isn't she judging or something?

There is a lady from Utah on, Susie Bulloch, and to be honest, I'm not what her qualifications are. Not that it matters really. Not trying to be cynical, but I am surprised she made it past the first round.

EDIT: Also, the title of the show is BBQ Brawl: Flay V. Symon. Granted there has only been the one episode, but there has been minimal Flay vs. Symon, and it doesn't seem like there will be very much more.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the arena type cooking contests. Even BBQ Pitmasters was more appealing to me when they were just another contestant at the big events. But I guess the stars weren't winning enough.

Pass

If you like brag and bravado then those types of shows are what pays the bills on reality TV.
I'd like to see a more hands on, informative BBQ show for the average backyard crowd.
More like the old Essence of Emerald or Justin Wilson, he was known to break out his old offset and BBQ.
Watching Project Smoke or whatever SR does seems over edited, and whatever he cooks looks rarely the same as the final shot.
Watching him reminds me of Norm on the Old Yankee Wood shop. They show you all the new toys from the sponsors, but not a lot of detail.
I wish Rick Bayless would BBQ because I enjoy watching him and Franklin.

Tim

I watched the first episode and was totally unimpressed. i'll try one more episode and see what happens.

Yes! Rick Bayless would be GREAT to see more of! He did a couple of grilling/BBQ episodes and they were excellent!
Reality TV is the most useless garp I have ever ignored. Thanks writers strike of the late (90’s), goofballs!

+1 on everything timothy said. SR looks like he is afraid to touch everything. Would love to see Rick Bayless do his thing with BBQ. Would be interesting to see Franklin do some more shows.

Back