Found another cheap Q2200

The big thing for those Q grills is the grates. If they are salvageable, then a flip is a real possibility. If not, there are some good aftermaket possibilities out there now however. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07P6H9N36/tvwb-20

I agree, paint the lid. That is what will set it off from all the other cream colored Q grills out there.

I have pretty much given up totally on Q1xxx grills for flipping. If you have to invest much of anything into them, the profit margin just isn't there. You can find new ones for $150. The Q2xxx grills give you a little more room for profit and if you can find a great deal on a portable cart for it, that is a good option as well.

Last edited:
Stefan. Good choice not to repaint the lid if it is in good condition. That thing wasn't used more than a couple times. Should be an easy flip.

Maybe market differences. My reds have been doing well. I picked up a brand new 2200
from a couple last night that were down on their luck. They had it posted for a week at $100 with
no takers. I would have bought if for that, but it was quite a ways from my house. They
dropped it to $80 and we were going to be in the city yesterday so I bought it. I will be
repainting that lid red this week as soon as I unbox it.

Yah, Dave, not everyone has the KC Chiefs in their back yard.

My next Q320 is going to be Blue. No real reason, just tired of red. Seems like Red is the predominant color for High Temp paint outside of Blacks and grays.

Or Wait, I have a can of Green Rustoleum High heat. I forgot about that. I bought that last year thinking I would do a Packer Green grill. And football season is right around the corner. I guess the Blue will have to wait. Yah, Puker Green it is.

I tried selling my green Genesis towards Dallas Star fans but not a single reply. Blue for cowboys might work. But it needs to be the right blue and I am afraid of adding any cowboys logo or name because of copyright infringement.

Maybe market differences. My reds have been doing well. I picked up a brand new 2200
from a couple last night that were down on their luck. They had it posted for a week at $100 with
no takers. I would have bought if for that, but it was quite a ways from my house. They
dropped it to $80 and we were going to be in the city yesterday so I bought it. I will be
repainting that lid red this week as soon as I unbox it.
Dave I have seen your Q grills with the team name on the handle. Do you know if the handle from the Q220 fits in the Q2200? The old style handle has that flat center section where you can ad a sticker. The new style handle does not.
I thought about something you have done but I am also concerned of violating copyrights by adding a sports team name. I don’t want their lawyers knocking at my door.

Yah, I am just going with the color....no infringment to worry about with that. I won't put any names or logos on it. If I could paint the Weber Logo Yellow, that would be really cool.
But, the Packer fans are really nuts and while they may not have the national following the Cowboys do, you wont find many Non-Packer fans in Wisconsin and I have never been to a state that had more team flags, mailboxes, signs, yard ornaments, hats, sweat shirts, jackets than you see driving around Wisconsin.

Do you know if the handle from the Q220 fits in the Q2200? ............. but I am also concerned of violating copyrights by adding a sports team name. I don’t want their lawyers knocking at my door.

As far as I know they do, but, I have never actually tested to see if they are the same.

I did a bit of investigating on this after Jon mentioned the copyright issue last week ......

I am no longer concerned for a variety of reasons .... "Chiefs" could refer to any # of things,
if doesn't only mean the NFL team. I do not include the KC nor any logos. The font used for
the script is readily available, free to use and there are several similar fonts as well. Lastly,
take a look at some fbmp, etsy or ebay pages. There are literally tens of thousands of crafty
folks turning out items that are clearly violations. The NFL is looking to stop the guy selling a
1000 boot leg t-shirts. Not a guy with a questionable logo on a few grills or the lady next door
that paints the logo on a few signs to hang on the front door.

Stefan,
You might check out my post under the lid repaint thread here. I would re-link, but I am on my phone and not as easy. Based on the article I linked you cannot legally sell NFL logo merchandise without an extensive and costly licensing setup. Of course it is done all the time on etsy, ebay, etc. It would seem there isn’t anything they can do about you legally downloading one for personal use like how Dave’s wife did for him. If I can get my “sandwich” idea to work so that I can use engine paint I want to try painting a Q “torque-n-teal” to get a Miami Dolphins (or Marlins) look. My idea is to advertise and sell it without the handle logo and offer to help the buyer get their own logo once they buy the grill.

Stefan,
You might check out my post under the lid repaint thread here. I would re-link, but I am on my phone and not as easy. Based on the article I linked you cannot legally sell NFL logo merchandise without an extensive and costly licensing setup. Of course it is done all the time on etsy, ebay, etc. It would seem there isn’t anything they can do about you legally downloading one for personal use like how Dave’s wife did for him. If I can get my “sandwich” idea to work so that I can use engine paint I want to try painting a Q “torque-n-teal” to get a Miami Dolphins (or Marlins) look. My idea is to advertise and sell it without the handle logo and offer to help the buyer get their own logo once they buy the grill.

Thanks for the link. Yes I found the article and it just undermines my assumptions. I will stay away marketing anything with team names or logos.

I am working on what I need to do what I suggested above. It will be a thin line of taking care not to suggest I am selling a grill with a logo. I have been looking at NFL logos and plan to suggest a Dolphins and/or Marlins logo that I wouldn't be able to put on it and claim it was generic. But if I sell a teal Q with no logo and the owner puts his own logo on it for their personal use, then I don't see how I violated anything.

p.s. Yeah, I know, not much demand for Dolphins - or certainly not Marlins - logos on much of anything these days. But, hey, there ARE still fans here, so it is worth a try. I think it might be a way to make money on even an older Q 100/120 marketed as a "Game-Day tailgate grill":eek:! I might even get one of those black ones and right Weber's prejudicial wrong of making only a Cubs version by making my own White Sox Q. I just wish I knew how to powder coat the S-O-X logo on the lid itself:)!

Last edited:
I kind of got burned with a sports grill once. Tried to sell a green lid Genesis to Dallas Stars fans. Added a cover and grill matt with the sports team logo. Had it posted for about 4 weeks. Not a single reply. Once I changed the lid to a SS lid and left out all the sports stuff it sold within a few days.

LOL. I probably would not target hockey if I was going with a sports theme. I personally don't care for the SS lids, but it seems that buyers seem to like them. I have a couple laying around that don't know what to do with.

Back