I dodged a bullet yesterday

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
My 25 yo Craftsman rototiller is on its last legs. It sputters. Doesn't run at full power. I checked compression and its down to 60 PSI.

So I've been shopping for other options. Went to Facebook Marketplace to see what's there.

Found a Cub Cadet RT65 . They were asking $500, said bought last year for $800 and used once. Located about an hour drive away.

Contacted seller, and right off he tells me its in great shape, was owned by wife's granpa who had passed, and only used 2 or 3 times. I'm thinkin, well OK, I thought it was once. From pics provided, it did not look well worn. So I asked him for a pic of the serial number plate. And he sent me one. Decoding the SN said the tiller was made in Feb 2011.

Man, IDK what the guy was selling. I've had good and bad experience with CL and FB Marketplace, but ya gotta watch your step. I was ready to drive to the fellas place and make an offer.

It still could have only been bought last year. The 2011 thing it could have just been old stock

Still, I do agree that a number of CL sellers exaggerate the newness of their item.

Lynn, I used to have a BCS rototiller that I bought in the late 90s. Sold it a few years ago as I wasn't using it. I read somewhere that rototilling is bad for the soil structure, worms, and other creatures. I haven't missed it.

What are you using it for? To maintain a large garden?

A vegetable garden , 25 X 25 foot.

I could not garden without turning the soil.

Larry, I guess anything is possible, if one opens their mind to it.

Larry may be right, but that's an awfully old stock to be sold as new, several years after production. I'd be a little surprised that the bean counters didn't say unload it or return it to the warehouse/manufacturer after a year in inventory.

Beyond that....it never really does anything good to sit that long. I'd be concerned about seals drying out.

Lynn, those old small motors are dead simple, you can almost rebuild them with nothing more than a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. You might also look at simply putting a fresh motor on top if the rest of it is in decent shape.

Yep, brand new today, that tiller is MSRP of $900. I would not pay $500 for a 9 yo tiller, unless it was new in crate, and then I would think about it. And the fella had already misrepresented the tiller as used one time, then changed to " 2 or 3 " times.

I've looked into the Harbor Freight Predator motors. But I've found new Husqvarna front tine tillers for $360. The HF motor would cost around $130 after tax. Then I got my time to put into it. And I think I'd like to try a rear tine tiller.

Larry may be right, but that's an awfully old stock to be sold as new, several years after production. I'd be a little surprised that the bean counters didn't say unload it or return it to the warehouse/manufacturer after a year in inventory.

Beyond that....it never really does anything good to sit that long. I'd be concerned about seals drying out.

Lynn, those old small motors are dead simple, you can almost rebuild them with nothing more than a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. You might also look at simply putting a fresh motor on top if the rest of it is in decent shape.

I ended up putting a $20 carburetor from Amazon on my old tiller, and it runs great ! I tilled my garden and this morning I planted my winter cover of austrian peas, oats, and rye .... to start next year's garden.

CjFnYDK.jpg

Last edited:

Back