Chicken Stir Fry

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
y4mav7Yzq5_bREy3j5UOxDFHfPYGye2E-guLNxCI8xqIGE-ZU2k0wfU0p_doYGvmOxI4F8m41J-DQNrk-jphwqCYJoqmTZgt5p4y46nnt-Hdpn68q9Y5w8oPqmaoGgvJZVMUKua8NKm0eTyeb0YleKmidUyLnqBR8TVdJH1vB7Y5YbZ5Vc2_CZIzudxUAcL5r6xQgy2FM_OHEMzivw6QKS7Gw

I think I need a bigger wok. Anyone know which size will fit best in the gourmet bbq system, 14" or 16"?

Last edited:
What is the size of the wok you have now?

Not to turn this into a question/help request that belongs in another thread; that one is flat bottomed and 10", I think. It, minus the handle, goes completely through the opening in the grate, so I just use the vortex under it and set it on the grate. I want one that sits in the opening of the grate, but prefer carbon steel to cast iron and a round bottom, so the Weber gourmet bbq system wok is out. I tried out a 14" flat bottom one right before pitching it (teflon lined and rarely used). Only about an inch of it was still above the grate which seems too deep to me. But I don't know if a round bottom wok would sit differently than the flat bottom one.

Looks Tasty. How about a discada instead of a wok. You can get different sizes or find yourself a plow disc and fill in the hub.

28320247779_4d70185618_c.jpg

39201749685_8fe74f36e9_c.jpg

Not to turn this into a question/help request that belongs in another thread; that one is flat bottomed and 10", I think. It, minus the handle, goes completely through the opening in the grate, so I just use the vortex under it and set it on the grate. I want one that sits in the opening of the grate, but prefer carbon steel to cast iron and a round bottom, so the Weber gourmet bbq system wok is out. I tried out a 14" flat bottom one right before pitching it (teflon lined and rarely used). Only about an inch of it was still above the grate which seems too deep to me. But I don't know if a round bottom wok would sit differently than the flat bottom one.

What is the diameter of the opening in the grates? I have a 14" flat bottom wok which is a common size I think. I use it with my Tejas Smokers camp stove with a 11" diameter, 2" height wok ring. It sits nicely on it.

What is the diameter of the opening in the grates? I have a 14" flat bottom wok which is a common size I think. I use it with my Tejas Smokers camp stove with a 11" diameter, 2" height wok ring. It sits nicely on it.

It's 11.9" diameter. Just don't want a wok to sit so low that it's on top of the vortex blocking airflow. I'm probably overthinking it and don't necessarily need to use the vortex for this, in which case, sitting lower will be fine, and maybe preferable.

Maybe you can bring your grates/rings to a store that carries woks to see how they will fit. Do this if they don't really have a return/exchange policy. I would think that a 14" is a standard size and that the wok will sit higher. Another possibility is to get a cheap wok ring and sit it on top of the grates.

I have a 12" Lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using for my stir fry.

It's this one. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0714CXBTF/tvwb-20

I know it's not a wok, but it works great for me. I do chicken stir fry about once a month, and now that I see this post I'm doing it tomorrow. ;)
I like it because it holds the heat well, and doesn't have a handle that gets in the way when I want to close the lid.

<StevenTyler>Wok this way!</StevenTyler> Okay, I'll go crawl back in my hole now....

Case, that's a great looking stand and cooker.

I've been using my wok over a turkey fryer stand & burner for several years. Home stoves just don't put out enough BTUs IMHO to effectively heat up a wok.

D, that wok does look overloaded to me. I'd look at a larger carbon steel wok but with D-ring handles instead of single stick handle. Yes, you'd really want to use a good high heat glove with it. Look into an Asian/Chinese restaurant supply if you can get to one. https://webstaurantstore.com/search/wok.html has several that look promising (I'm rather addicted to WS, thanks to folks here....) or Amazon if you have to go online (and use the TVWB code to support this site.)

<StevenTyler>Wok this way!</StevenTyler> Okay, I'll go crawl back in my hole now....

...https://webstaurantstore.com/search/wok.html has several that look promising (I'm rather addicted to WS, thanks to folks here....) or Amazon if you have to go online (and use the TVWB code to support this site.)

Holy Wok Batman, that site has some good deals. Ordered one from there along with a wok spatula. Even with shipping charges it came out less than the same wok on Amazon with free shipping. Thanks for the link.

Holy Wok Batman, that site has some good deals. Ordered one from there along with a wok spatula. Even with shipping charges it came out less than the same wok on Amazon with free shipping. Thanks for the link.

Oh, no.... don't blame me..... somebody else here on this site got me hooked, line and sinker. Thread I originally looked at was in the Kitchen gadgets page, something about a 5 gallon salad spinner. And it's all gone downhill from there.

Back