Brisket Sale

Bailey G

A small 3 store grocery chain has USDA prime briskets on sale starting tomorrow at $2.98lb. I have never bbq’ed a brisket before nor really have use for a whole one. I was thinking of cutting one into thirds if I buy. Appreciate your ideas on how to cut it?

TIA...BG

Cook the whole thing. Eat as much as you like. Freeze the rest in chunks for future enjoyment. Or make smoked brisket chili. (Probably goes real well with chowder from the Splash Cafe.)

Jeff

Are you sure you didn't mean cut the flat in half?

No, if I were smoking three pieces, I'd rather keep the flat intact.

The point would cook faster if cut in half.

- - - Updated - - -

Cook the whole thing. Eat as much as you like. Freeze the rest in chunks for future enjoyment. Or make smoked brisket chili. (Probably goes real well with chowder from the Splash Cafe.)

Jeff

This is the correct answer.

No, if I were smoking three pieces, I'd rather keep the flat intact.

The point would cook faster if cut in half.

- - - Updated - - -
Gotcha.
I often cut whole packers in half, for just the two of us (I like brisket fresh from the smoker best)
But I cook a flat part, and the flat/point parts separately.

Once again, I must side with Jay and Lynn!
The simple fact is, well, as far as I’m concerned, there isn’t enough after you start eating! The remains, should there be any, will render all kinds of happy leftovers! Mine seem to be chili, sandwiches, of the occasional forkful from the container in the fridge holding a few scraps!
I need to do one soon! The last one is all gone, every shred of it!

I usually cook a whole one even though it's my wife, my son, and me. I usually give a lot of the leftovers if we have them.

I cook the whole brisket then freeze the point and what's left of the flat and with the two of us there is a lot of leftovers for chili, burnt ends and sammies. Good stuff.

I'll keep cutting mine in half, flat only one cook (like below) and another cook with the point & flat together.

IMGP9268.JPG

Back