Demise of the cheeseburger

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
In case you missed this on Sunday Morning earlier this month.
Nice grill at about 1:31.

Last edited:
I agree, to me a cheeseburger is meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard and bacon, onion maybe. I saw a recipe for a cheeseburger that called for pineapple and sliced banana, not going to happen in this house. Yep that was a nice grill, I've got three just like it.

Thanks Bob. There's no demise in this household! Wow, there were some gorgeously outrageous burgers in that video.

I like this guys cheeseburger. No demise there either.

enhance

Greg at Ballistic BBQ

But Cliff, his criteria for a true cheeseburger is can you eat it while taking a bath, not needing a bath afterwards. :)

If you're going to call yourself a real American the true cheeseburger needs to be made on a griddle and finished over a bed of grilled onions with a steamed bun, because that's the cheeseburger origin.

I grew up on double cheez burgers W/ grilled onions and tomato.
Now you got to drag it thru the garden and add a ton of acutichements which makes it impossible to eat with one hand.

Sorta like whats trendy with a Bloody Mary lately. It's not a drink but a meal.

Tim

One of our favorites is a double (smash) cheeseburger from Steak and Shake, topped only with mustard, ketchup, and pickles.

There is NO demise of the cheeseburger at our house! Grilled bun, pepperjack cheese, the burger, and if the spirit moves a little A1 sauce. An alternative here is white american cheese (hard to find in LV), ketchup, mustard. If we could find decent onions here, I'd add probably add them too. If you want a designer burger, it definitely isn't a cheeseburger. They remind me of the MAC24 pancake challenge in Honolulu.

I always enjoy a simple burger, especially when the bun's toasted just right, maybe even buttered,,,,,, but don't take away my blue-bacon cheeseburgers!

and if the spirit moves a little A1 sauce.
I wouldn't dream of using that stuff on a steak, but I must admit I've grown quite fond of it on burgers. I go about a third A1, two-thirds ketchup. Add some grilled onions and, man, that's some good eatin'.

This may be bordering on heresy, but a few weeks ago I bought some goat milk Gouda at Costco. On a whim I slapped a slice of that on a burger. It was excellent. Did the same thing several more times. Then on my next trip to Costco I checked the price again. $12/pound. No wonder it tasted so good on a burger.

In our house a cheeseburger is toasted bun, grilled patty, cheese of your choice, tomato, lettuce, homemade bacon and sweet onion. Although there are times I've just made one with bun, patty and cheese.

Bob we love Steak and Shake burgers but they are closing down in the Cincinnati /NKY area I think there is only like 2 locations still open, sad day when they are gone.

Bob we love Steak and Shake burgers but they are closing down in the Cincinnati /NKY area I think there is only like 2 locations still open, sad day when they are gone.
The one near where we live is open, but several around the area have closed.
I think one franchisee had the ones that closed.

I really like Havarti on burgers. Streak & shake went by, by out here after a year. ( the area they opened up in, is a fast food killer.)
I like Culvers, and a second is Wendy's. ( When they first offered a triple cheeseburger @ Old Chicago in the 70's I was Hooked.):p

Tim

I'm doing Cheeseburgers for my Grandaughter's birthday gathering today. She's 25 and asked for Jalapeno burgers. I chop up pickled Jalapenos and mix them with the meat. Those can be eaten on the go. No demise in this house.

In case you missed this on Sunday Morning earlier this month.
Nice grill at about 1:31.

Bob, thank you, this was great. I am guilty of posting some of those burgers. And yes, I did need a bath after "trying" to eat them. lol

Some of y’all are sounding pretty close to heretical. Onions have to be fresh sliced or maybe chopped. Never grilled. That is what you do to meat. If they are not fresh then how will everyone you work with know you had a cheeseburger for lunch.
Eddie

Back