First Chuck Roast

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
So I decided to try out a chuck roast yesterday. I'd seen several YouTube videos of folks likening them to the "poor man's brisket" and decided I had to try it.

Ran the cook pretty standard in my WSM with target temp of 250F. A few things surprised me:

1) A 3.65lb chuck took 8 hours! Heck, I've done a real 9lb brisket in that much time.
2) Stall temp was pretty low compared to other cuts; 151F versus usually around 160 on butts or brisket

Typical cook, wrap, and rest approach. No water in the water pan because I really only expected this to go about 5 hours. The result was good, but not great. This was a choice cut of meat, not prime. Nice bark, good and tender, but I wouldn't call it dry, just not overly juicy.

Any body else had a "wow" result?

It's just not brisket so don't expect brisket. It's close though to brisket flat. PSB is a good course of action but I've done it just straight up like you did and loved it.

While I have never tried chick roast as a poor man brisket, it has become a staple in our house as faux burnt ends! My teenage sons and all their friends are always asking when we’re gonna have faux burnt ends again?!? Another vote for PSBas well, but in our house it’s the star of the show as burnt ends! As for cook time, a 3.5-4 pound roast cooked at 275° will (usually) take me right around 4 hours.
Good luck,
Tim

Back