Smaller Charcoal Ring?

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
I have an 18.5" WSM and have noticed that it is extremely fuel efficient. Most times I can get many hours from only a single chimney load of charcoal, or less.

Unfortunately, I'm an anal retentive on operational performance and I have to wonder if there is a better way to get controlled burns from small loads of charcoal. Primary example; I recently did a couple of Tri Tips which turned out great; but they cook in less than 1.5 hours...and 4-6 hours of charcoal gets wasted in the process.

So I've been thinking of buying a 14.5" WSM Charcoal Ring to use in my 18.5" WSM. It seems to me this would keep the smaller load of charcoal held tighter together. When I dump the partial chimney into my 18.5, the coals spread way out to the edges of the ring in a fairly shallow manner. I'm then spending time re-stacking burning coals back into a pyramid and then doing it again once I drop wood onto the coals (which disrupts them again).

Thoughts?

What about doing a normal load of charcoal but extinguish the fire when you're done? I do this after cooking for 8+ hours and I still have 1/2 basket of usable charcoal left.

Some people seem to think it will somehow make them use less charcoal. I'm getting that you understand it won't but it will allow you to keep the charcoal held together tighter. I find this doesn't matter that much. If it's held too much together you have more of chance for ash to snuff out the fire. As long as you briquettes are lighting the ones next to it, the charcoal is close enough together. You can just shut off your vents and reuse whatever charcoal is left. I sometimes find pieces completely un-burned. I find reusing charcoal to be incredible efficient. Either way, if it makes you enjoy cooking more to get the 14.5 ring, then go for it. I don't know what they cost. Their might be cheaper options out there. You might make a ring from expanded metal for instance. Good luck!

Yea, what they said.
If as you say your WSM is fuel efficient, why change the dynamics?
I know my 18.5" leaks like a sieve ( it's an 08) but I always load the ring fully no mater what I'm cooking and after shutting it down I still use the leftover coals next time.
My 22.5 is a fuel hog. I have a smaller ring, but IMO it's not worth it. Just load it up and reuse the charcoal next time.
The only charcoal IME that I couldn't shut down and reuse was the K comp.
That stuff just kept burning overnite till gone.

Tim

The only thing i can add is hit the box stores memorial day and labor day weekends when charcoal is half price.
Using leftover charcoal,and 1/2 price charcoal BBqing gets pretty economical:)

I did as suggested yesterday; 2/3 full ring using minion and then shut down all my vents as soon as my roughly 8 hour cook was done. I did end up with a pretty decent amount of charcoal left over.

A lot of it is, of course, partially burned smaller pieces. Any suggestions on re-use? Do you just leave them in the cook ring and pour fresh on top next time? Or store them in a separate bag and use over the top of fresh? Seems like they might fall thru pretty quick if left on the bottom.

Good input, folks. Thank you.

I did as suggested yesterday; 2/3 full ring using minion and then shut down all my vents as soon as my roughly 8 hour cook was done. I did end up with a pretty decent amount of charcoal left over.

A lot of it is, of course, partially burned smaller pieces. Any suggestions on re-use? Do you just leave them in the cook ring and pour fresh on top next time? Or store them in a separate bag and use over the top of fresh? Seems like they might fall thru pretty quick if left on the bottom.

Good input, folks. Thank you.

I just pour fresh over. Both of my WSM's have the double grate mod and the charcoal ring is wired to said grates. makes it easy to shake off ashes, and any small sacrificial pieces fall thru.

https://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html

Tim

Last edited:
I have a metal bucket I keep just for used charcoal.( I don't take any chances with fire) I just shake the grate so the smaller stuff falls through,and then put the used charcoal in the bucket. When cooking I myself put it on top for the exact reason you say. So it doesn't fall through.
I mostly use the used stuff on shorter cooks like ribs. For something like Brisket or pork butt where you need all the fuel you can get. Just use new stuff.

Well, I did a short cook using the reclaimed charcoal and some new.

What I found is that the partially burned charcoal burns pretty fast and hot as compared to new fuel. I did a tri-tip at 250F and when I seared it over the bottom grate near the end of the cook, that stuff took off and was well pushing 320 when the lid went back on. I just ended up shutting all the dampers since it only takes 15 more minutes from that point. I'm still thinking a I might slip a smaller screen into the bottom of my chimney and use the leftovers for startup coals on new burns.

I'm still thinking a I might slip a smaller screen into the bottom of my chimney and use the leftovers for startup coals on new burns.

If you also have a Kettle I hear from some others here that they dedicate used coals for Kettle cooks (or maybe also HH cooks in their WSM) and only use new coals in their WSM's for long, lower temp cooks. For some unknown reason I have 2 garbage cans of used but have yet to try it; I need to get in gear. If someone already suggested this on this thread I apologize.

That is actually a really good idea; high heat cooks would be the way to use this stuff based on the way it burns. I'm pretty much sold on fresh coal for the longer cooks.

What about doing a normal load of charcoal but extinguish the fire when you're done? I do this after cooking for 8+ hours and I still have 1/2 basket of usable charcoal left.

I do the same and always suprised how much is left.

Ok, so now that we have killed the charcoal ring discussion (many thanks to those that contributed and convinced me to simply re-use my un-burned charcoal), I need to ask about partially burned wood.

Today I am cranking out my Friday Tri Tip...quick and easy. I'll use the leftover charcoal pieces from last weeks ribs in my starter chimney and pour that over some whole briquettes. 'Nuff said.

However, I had a few half burned chunks of apple wood that I used for smoking the ribs. Would you use this again for smoke or should I simply consider it lump charcoal and use 100% new wood for the smoke? I assume that since it was half burned, pretty much all of its moisture content is gone already.

Ok, so now that we have killed the charcoal ring discussion (many thanks to those that contributed and convinced me to simply re-use my un-burned charcoal), I need to ask about partially burned wood.

Today I am cranking out my Friday Tri Tip...quick and easy. I'll use the leftover charcoal pieces from last weeks ribs in my starter chimney and pour that over some whole briquettes. 'Nuff said.

However, I had a few half burned chunks of apple wood that I used for smoking the ribs. Would you use this again for smoke or should I simply consider it lump charcoal and use 100% new wood for the smoke? I assume that since it was half burned, pretty much all of its moisture content is gone already.

I would assume the same thing and add fresh.

Tim

There are guys that use the 18.5" charcoal chamber in the 22.5" WSM and it works. Using the 14.5" charcoal chamber in the 18.5" WSM should work, too, for short cooks.

I see the benevolent site master has made a very simple observation which the rest of us, apparently, didn’t even consider!

I don't know who you consider " the rest of us" is, but the OP mentioned using a smaller ring ( and so did I).:confused:

Or just use less charcoal in the original ring for short cooks.

Tim

I don't know who you consider " the rest of us" is, but the OP mentioned using a smaller ring ( and so did I).:confused:

Or just use less charcoal in the original ring for short cooks.

Tim[p

It’s been a pretty crazy weekend and I didn’t go back and re read the thread, I need more sleep!

Back