WSM Handles

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All Do you think these handles would work on the WSM 22? The center of the holes on the WSM are 7 1/4" apart where as the handles the holes are only 6 1/4". Seems like a big stretch to me..Thoughts? Idea's?
Thanks DanB
dy4g7SRm.jpg

Last edited:
Potentially you could "stretch" them, but I wonder if the handles might be too close to the body of the cooker. It's worth a shot depending on how cheap the handles are. You might be able to flatten them out some and drill new holes in the handles themselves.

Potentially you could "stretch" them, but I wonder if the handles might be too close to the body of the cooker. It's worth a shot depending on how cheap the handles are. You might be able to flatten them out some and drill new holes in the handles themselves.

Hi I think I just need 1/2" in each direction..Shouldn't cause any problems. Cheap handles so not a big loss.
Thanks Dan

What's the appeal of handles again? I just use gloves to take the middle section off as needed. I don't see the need for handles in my opinion.

I don't have them myself, but I think it's a little safer with the handles. I never really have to add charcoal. If I do open the door, it might be to throw on a wood chunk. Depending on how much weight is in the center section, the handles are less likely to slip out of your hands.

Hi Dan,

Yes, I think you should try to "persuade" those handles to fit the 22.5" WSM.

I've seen someone fabricate their own metal brackets to hold the stock Weber plastic grips on the 22.5", which is pretty slick. This is from Mike Leiter in the Adding Handles article on TVWB:

mikeleiter1.jpg

You could probably stretch those out with a vise or vise grips for a 1/2".
But as Dustin pointed out your making the handles closer to the body which might make it a little tight to grab wearing BBQ gloves.

Tim

I tried vertically-mounted garage door handles, and didn't like them because (1) there wasn't enough clearance between the handle and the body of the WSM, and (2) the vertical orientation made lifting awkward. The horizontally-mounted chest handles were a much better choice for me. They also fold nearly flat, allowing the cover to fit easily over the smoker. I know you don't want to drill any holes, but that (in my opinion) really limits your options. Vertical WSM handles, on brackets that give you good clearance and allow a secure grip when lifting, are your best "no holes" choice (again, just my opinion). Good luck on the project, and show us photos of how it turns out. :)

HI I don't want to drill any holes.
Thanks Dan

I was terrified of drilling holes in my WSM 22. I drilled 7 holes last weekend for the UnknownBBq hinge and Weber probe grommet and it went very smoothly. There are several videos that show varying levels of good technique. What worked for me was 2 layers of masking tape (inside and outside), small titanium bit for pilot hole and step bit to enlarge. I am bound to a desk by trade and not at all handy. I had all the parts and bits for a month before I mustered the courage to just drill it. My wife confided after I finished that she thought I would be buying a new smoker because I would botch the drilling. but it really is easy. Get the right bits and go for it. I will be adding handles in the near future. Because of the hinge and grilla grates, it's difficult to lift all that weight off the bottom section without handles.

I was terrified of drilling holes in my WSM 22. I drilled 7 holes last weekend for the UnknownBBq hinge and Weber probe grommet and it went very smoothly. There are several videos that show varying levels of good technique. What worked for me was 2 layers of masking tape (inside and outside), small titanium bit for pilot hole and step bit to enlarge. I am bound to a desk by trade and not at all handy. I had all the parts and bits for a month before I mustered the courage to just drill it. My wife confided after I finished that she thought I would be buying a new smoker because I would botch the drilling. but it really is easy. Get the right bits and go for it. I will be adding handles in the near future. Because of the hinge and grilla grates, it's difficult to lift all that weight off the bottom section without handles.

Hi I have drilled holes with a step drill for the hinge that I put on.. I rather not drill if I don't have too.
Thanks Dan

What's the appeal of handles again? I just use gloves to take the middle section off as needed. I don't see the need for handles in my opinion.

Hi I put a hinge on WSM 22" and at times the weight of the hinge separates the middle section from the bottom..This happens during the cook, so the middle section is very hot,and is a MPITA.
Dan

Back