wood performer table

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
Ive been looking around but cant find any one making wood tables to replace the plastic ones. Looking for input on weather or not there would be a market for a reasonably priced edge glued and lacquered side tables.
Thoughts?

I think it would be a very small market. I'm in the middle of building a wood table for a 26" Performer I built. I would much rather have been able to purchase a replacement plastic or metal version.

Ive been looking around but cant find any one making wood tables to replace the plastic ones. Looking for input on weather or not there would be a market for a reasonably priced edge glued and lacquered side tables.
Thoughts?

Are you lookin to sell or buy?
If doing a sell do a mock up with some pics.

Tim

JimZ

Check this out, some nice work here.
https://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/12/weber-crate-barrel-performer-wooden-table-mod/

I think enough people with the cracked plastic tables might want to buy a nice version in wood.

I was thinking about it and then went back to the old trusty SS Performer version.

vxfCzlT.jpg

One of two For Sale....

Last edited:
That sounds awesome Timothy, I know you don't post pictures on here, but I wish you did.

Jim, I’ve been thinking about your “retrofit table” idea and, I wish you the best of luck. If I can be of any help, feel free to PM me, the double barreled design was done because the incredible material was here. It’s good to have a friend of forty+ years that is an excellent cabinetmaker but, banjo player as well as a serious food fan! I’m deeply blessed by that!
There are things that I might do differently if I did another one but, this thing has endured polar vortex, days well in excess of my comfort through the summer.
Since the stock was only treated initially with beeswax, which would not have held up very well given the grain orientation, I used simple Tung oil as a treatment. Lacquer was not an option due to the wax (and beer) permeation, at least not in my opinion. There has been some “Greying” with ash blowing under the winter cover and bitter cold before cleaning in the spring.
It has been a really fine addition, I raised the table height by replacing wheels and inserting pipe to level the “deck”.
It’s pretty long but, I kind of wish it was maybe a foot longer...never enough working space!

Jim, I’ve been thinking about your “retrofit table” idea and, I wish you the best of luck. If I can be of any help, feel free to PM me, the double barreled design was done because the incredible material was here. It’s good to have a friend of forty+ years that is an excellent cabinetmaker but, banjo player as well as a serious food fan! I’m deeply blessed by that!
There are things that I might do differently if I did another one but, this thing has endured polar vortex, days well in excess of my comfort through the summer.
Since the stock was only treated initially with beeswax, which would not have held up very well given the grain orientation, I used simple Tung oil as a treatment. Lacquer was not an option due to the wax (and beer) permeation, at least not in my opinion. There has been some “Greying” with ash blowing under the winter cover and bitter cold before cleaning in the spring.
It has been a really fine addition, I raised the table height by replacing wheels and inserting pipe to level the “deck”.
It’s pretty long but, I kind of wish it was maybe a foot longer...never enough working space!

Thanks for all the input. I was thinking tung oil for a finish for sure as i did a walnut kitchen table some years ago and it still holds up really nicley. As for the size of the table I may keep it stock size so the cover will still fit. All the responces to this have given me a little motivation to get this thing going. Thanks again. Will keep you all posted.

I can’t get the pictures to enlarge. But, first look, I’d say that it looks nice. As for a retail price... how much time do you have in it, cost of materials, what’s your time worth?
I’d think it’s got to be a hundred bucks, heck, it’s virtually custom. I appreciate the nod to the cover and keeping it “stock size”, good thought.
As for plywood and “West System” caliber epoxy? That would not snap my cap in the least. Using decent solid material, properly glued up, well sanded, tung oiled and rubbed out nicely much more elegant. The thing about tung oil is you can find it anywhere for reasonable cost. Ease of maintenance!

Tim-
Thanks for the input. I guess what im asking is what would you guys pay for something like this or what the market value would be. That number tells me weather or not i even want to make a bunch. I can make these some what easily. I was also thinking of sheet metal versions as well. Im in welding as a profession and have a sheet metal shop right next to me. Im second guessing the tung oil for exterior not sure it will hold up. Although satin poly says its interior as well. When not in use it will be covered so not so worried about uv damage. Any thoughts?
Another link for pis at a different host
https://imgur.com/a/0iVOU4n

Thanks Guys,
JIm

Last edited:
My cypress one has “aged” nicely, it was beeswax impregnated initially when the Stroh brewery used it for beer. It’s gotten ash blown all over it, in the middle so winter, I leave the 22 accessible and wind blows ash when I load the chimney with the old coal from the baskets. I purposely left saw “swirl” and no, it’s not pristine but, neither is my kettle, I don’t generally have direct food contact (unless I drop something) but, I keep it clean and use it hard. As for satin poly? An epoxy finish will be far superior but, more expensive, I like the tung oil simply because it’s cheap and readily available. I oil it spring and fall, just before I put the (rather complicated) cover on and, when I remove it.
I had considered talking to by wife’s cousin (EXCELLENT Welder) about making one in diamond plate but, he is just too busy for that, he’s been through a lot of personal tragedy as well so, my cabinet maker buddy executed my design for the table in my avatar.
I’ll probably die before I need to replace this one but, I think steel is really wise for more “workhorse” pieces like mine.
PM me and we can talk without eating up space if you wish.

Back