Rusty bottom frame Genesis 1000LX

IanMacNaughtan

Hi all, first post here.

I was out cleaning my 1000LX (Maroon lid) over the weekend and when I pulled out the durawood platform on the bottom to give them a scrub I discovered my x-frame tubes are in rough shape. Appears the bolts holding them on have totally rusted away and one of my steel tubes has a nice rust hole in it. My serial number starts with EI so looks like my grill dates back to 1997 - I'm the original owner. Looks like over 20 years of Canadian winters have taken a toll.

I've gone through a bunch of the restoration forum posts and didn't see anything super specific to this issue. Looking for some advice as to how I should attempt to tackle a repair. I'd say I'm somewhat handy but I'm no welder. Any ideas as to where I can source these frame tubes and the bolts required to connect them to the legs? They appear to be exactly 24 inches long and have a 1 inch square inner diamater (probably 16 gauge?). Hopefully this link to pictures works.

Appricate the assistance.

view

No problem. Good luck. Let us all know how the repair goes. Your job should be a bit easier because you won't have to cut the old rod out. Just replace it.

Ian, another Canuck here. I tried to order from McMaster Carr today and have it shipped to a US address and they said I had to be a business or school. I found ones on eBay in the US that should work and will be picking them up in August. If you have not gotten any by then I can send you a couple. If you figure a way to get them from MC please let me know. Thanks, Richard

Bruce and Ian, the fourth one down is the one I ordered but I did not try to have it shipped to Canada as it was free to the US. Will pick them up in August and let you all know how they work.

Back