Meathead at work

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I can't go the sous vide part of this, but searing steaks on Weber chimney's is pretty cool. I'll try to post this pic but I'm working on my Fire tablet and its not easy

https://twitter.com/meathead/status/1153154574775197696?s=19

Meathead Goldwyn
@meathead
Just got back from the first Sous Vide Summit where I seared 500 Allen Bros strip steaks dry aged 30 days and sous vide cooked. Air temp was 100F, each of these 3 chimneys was well over 1000F. Took 4 hours and 5 beers but it was a HIGE hit.

Di398tc.jpg

Last edited:
I can confirm his observations. When I set up my chimney for searing, the center of the grates start to glow, my I/R thermometer a couple of inches below the top edge of the chimney reads 850 F or higher, and goes off scale if I go closer to the top. This reminds me, I've got a couple of sets of grates I've been meaning to build....

Nice thing about sous vide steaks is that they're nearly impossible to overcook. Bad thing is that everybody is going to get theirs done just about the same. The steaks also will not render out like steaks fully cooked on the grill, they do have a decidedly different texture.

Nice thing about sous vide steaks is that they're nearly impossible to overcook. Bad thing is that everybody is going to get theirs done just about the same. The steaks also will not render out like steaks fully cooked on the grill, they do have a decidedly different texture.

Totally agree on the texture observation. Not my favorite. Also, when you reverse-sear thick (2"+) steaks, you get a chance to put a little wood smoke into them during the indirect phase. You can't do that with sous vide. Of course, when you have 500 steaks to cook ...

Jeff

I would think you'd permanently damage the grates. I know I did using a vortex and my gourmet grate middle section (The wire one, not the sear grate). Also the whole thing has gotta be top heavy and probably little dangerous. I'm not saying any of that is necessarily going to stop me.

I would think you'd permanently damage the grates. I know I did using a vortex and my gourmet grate middle section (The wire one, not the sear grate).
For this reason I've always left my center section out when using the vortex.

I once did an under the chimney Porterhouse using lump. it was okay, but still didn't get the char I was looking for.

IMGP2668.JPG

IMGP2669.JPG

My Performers have the standard plated steel grates. I have used a Vortex for a couple of years, at least. That is the only way I do chicken parts these days so the grates have had a lot of exposure to the Vortex heat. They probably have no plating left over the Vortex. However, I oil the grates heavily when using so it has not been a problem. The Vortex sear should be similar to the chimney in heat.

I plan to eventually get the gourmet grate and when and if I do, I'll remove the center when using the Vortex.

Just a thought or two...
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. I have tried sous vide steak and I prefer using the reverse sear and the Vortex on the Performer...rdm

I think it kills the coating. The center section of my gourmet grate rusted pretty fast anyway. Weber doesn't sell the stainless one in the US for some reason. I'd be more than willing to spend twice as much for stainless. I'm not willing to spend 35 bucks for another coated one. My gourmet grate looks pretty rough. I've gone more in the Slow N Sear direction anyway, lately.

The grate to use with a chimney, would be the Smokey Joe grate. They're cheap enough to not worry bout replacing. I think I bought my last one, for less than $10.

Back