Advice Requested - spares at 325??????

James H

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

here in long island with temps close to 100 today. So i am smoking two racks of st louis spares and am running hot.....300-325 versus my usual 225-250. all vents are closed and just put some ice water in the pan.

So i am not really too worried about the temps and am interested to see how the higher heat ribs turn out....Question i have is usually i will go around 4 1/2 to 5 hours with st louis......about how much time should be take at the 300-325 temps?

Appreciate the help :)

Did 3 racks , probably the same day as you, here on long island. Temps got to 290-300 and took the racks off in 4 hours cause they were done, actually overdone, you could pull the bones out by hand, and the outer bark was getting a little tough but were still very tender and juicy inside. So, 3 -3 1/2 hours sounds right.
Just as an aside, these racks were hung, with 2 hooks each, under a different rib bone and they didn't fall off.

When I do spares in the oven at 325 (hate winter) in a covered roast pan (old family recipe that I used), I look at 60 min. These are pre-cut, not slab. Being in a covered roaster, almost like being foiled for the whole time.

So just be watchful.

Last edited:

Back