Tri Tip and Chuck Roast on sale at Winco

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
For those who live on west coast/PNW, Winco has tri tips and chuck roasts on sale for $2.98/lb. I bought two of each on Fri.

Last week the wife bought a "tri-tip" from our local Winco. Cooked it last Friday... Last time we will ever do that again... Not tender, even when sliced thinly across grain. (note... have had tri-tip my whole life. Very much aware what should and should not be...)

Going back to Brandt Beef, Hottingers Family Meats (a local old time butcher), and possibly Costco.

I learned the hard way with Tri Tip also. It is one of our family's favorites, but don't trust your local supermarket with this. Can you believe that the first one I ever bought was from the supermarket and packaged with the fat-cap up? Might as well have been buying a piece of leather.

Only a prime from a solid and trusted meat market, or Costco, will do IMHO. The last 2 I got from Costco were terrific. But even there, I am picky. I don't buy the 2 pack because butchers like to mix a great one with a "so-so" one. I discovered that Wednesday is the day our local Costco puts out a bunch of fresh cuts; on that afternoon there are always 3 to 6 single tri tips to choose from.

Last edited:

Back