New Weber Q1200 - Burner is Not 304SS?

A Lee

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a brand new Q1200. Up here in Canada, the Q1200 has a rediculous $299 price tag. That's why I was pretty shocked to find out the burner was a magnetic stainless steel (probably 430SS). For the premium price tag, I expected it to be 304SS. I've tested many Spirit and Genesis burners in stores and they've always been non-magnetic.

Can someone with an older Weber Q report back whether their burner sticks to magnets? Please also state the age and model of the Weber Q.

They never were 304 that I recall. I bought a early one for my daughter a long time ago and it was not 304. They still last far longer than you think they would

I have several Q grills. Q1xxx to Q3xxx of various years and they all have significant magnetism on the burners. Not sure if they are all original, but I would guess they are.

I think Weber stopped using non magnetic 304SS on burners some time ago. I still find some older Weber Genesis x000 and even Silver/Gold with burners made from 304SS but most if not all the newer grills and all the Weber replacement burners you can purchase nowadays are all made of magnetic SS.

I think Weber stopped using non magnetic 304SS on burners some time ago. I still find some older Weber Genesis x000 and even Silver/Gold with burners made from 304SS but most if not all the newer grills and all the Weber replacement burners you can purchase nowadays are all made of magnetic SS.

The Weber Genesis II and Spirit II models both have non-magnetic stainless burners.

What kills the burners is not usually rust out re of the type of stainless used. It's that they usually crack due to thermal stresses from expansion/contraction

Exactly why they are not "fastened" down in the grills. Which also explains the mounting screws inside the cookbox that are not designed to be removed or tightened down. It allows the burners to expand horizontally without binding.

Back