Dave has probably done 50 to my 1, but here’s a finished Silver A

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I wouldn’t doubt that Dave in KC has turned out 50 grills in the time it has taken me to finish my first Weber gas grill full restoration in quite a while:(.

75jJWi6.jpg

It’s a 2005 Silver A I picked up for free. Replaced all the internals, as might be expected. But other than the cabinet bottom (replaced new thanks to Dave’s recommendation;)), I was able to deal with all the remaining rust issues with Eastwood Encapsulater and repainting.

How do like my replacement handles for the doors?

theJR41.jpg

The original Weber ones are just chrome plated steel and rusted out. I bought a box of these on Amazon for this grill, my Platinum and future projects. The box cost about what one Weber regular steel handle would have:confused:.

I got this done just in time to put in our organization’s huge furniture sell off. A bunch of tire kickers but no serious interest. I was, however, able to sell an upgraded Jumbo Joe for full price after the guy’s wife said “I want it!”:eek:

I am holding out for $265. Just listed on OfferUp and linked on my wife’s FaceBook. Will get it on Craigslist and FaceBook Marketplace soon.

https://offerup.co/p6y1AGzzuY

Here are some before and after pictures:

MGo0lqY.jpg

f26HyVK.jpg

4IDSadz.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:
CONTINUATION:

7bKqYv1.jpg

hYw0dSa.jpg

RTa9YTC.jpg

Here's my write-up:

Tx2Ieqx.jpg

If you were wondering about the grates, they are 6mm Hisencn I got for $30 on Amazon to replace the chipped up porcelain-coated cast iron grates. No, they aren't spectacular, but for this entry-level grill they are still a step up:

UvB0Q88.jpg

I also am experimenting with the hood sides. I wire-brushed them off, but in spite of a lot of work I failed to get the last remnants of texturing off (some was already missing). I painted and did NOT like how it looked at all:mad:. So, I waited a week and covered the high heat black with texture paint and then painted with high heat black again. It isn't perfect, but I really like the closer to stock look a lot:

hdEnRN0.jpg

Because I was hurrying to get this grill done by this morning for the sale, I wasn't able to do a proper burn-off. I will do that carefully and report my results. I can live with a small amount of bubbling, but if it turns into a mess, than I guess I am NOT finished and the grinder comes out again:eek:!

Last edited:
NICE WORK! WOW!!! I have 2 or 3 of these currently waiting patiently their turns
to be redone. I can only hope they look half that good when I am finished.
Jon, excellent job on the write up. I may need to borrow that idea for some
future turns.

NICE WORK! WOW!!! I have 2 or 3 of these currently waiting patiently their turns
to be redone... I may need to borrow that idea for some
future turns.

I borrow yours, too! That's what makes sharing here so much help. I have learned so much from others here, and I just hope that what we have accumulated can help other avoid mistakes and enjoy this hobby more. I am really thankful that our history seems to have been saved with the move to a new host:).

Thats some lovely work, as expected from you. The silver A's are certainly pretty grills, and with the upgrades you did its next level. Those are stainless kitchen cabinet handles? Looks really good!

Yah, Jon, that is a great rehab for a flip. I like those handles. Much better than stock. I tend to stay away from the cabinet grills but I would still like a link to those handles in case I need some in the future. Did you grind out the firebox?

Last edited:
Looks great. Puts my old silver A to shame LOL.

Particularly good job on the rusty bottom. Most people would give up on it after seeing that

So, I realize this is a labor of love, but what will be your bottom line? You know, sale price minus acquisition price and repair costs?

Looks great. Puts my old silver A to shame LOL.

Particularly good job on the rusty bottom. Most people would give up on it after seeing that

Greg, I think he replaced the bottom with a brand new panel.

Yah, I agree Greg. I hate the cabinet grills for rehabs. Sure you can simply replace the pieces with new, but that gets expensive to the point that it eats up any profit. Grinding them and refinishing them (if possible) adds too much time and effort to secure any real profit as well. It is rare that a guy can find one of those that simply needs a little cleaning. Which is all too bad as the rest of the grill is typically in great shape.

I am converting my SS Platinum to open cart design for that same reason. SS sides and bottom on those things would have added to the cost, but you would basically have a grill that is guaranteed to last 25 plus years aside from some minor replacements such as burners and flavorizer bars and you wouldn't even need a written guaranteed from Weber to know it would last that long. What would that have added to the price of one those grills? Maybe $100 or $200? Too bad weber didn't go that extra mile. The "Weber Plutonium SS grill"

Yah, I agree Greg. I hate the cabinet grills for rehabs. Sure you can simply replace the pieces with new, but that gets expensive to the point that it eats up any profit. Grinding them and refinishing them (if possible) adds too much time and effort to secure any real profit as well. It is rare that a guy can find one of those that simply needs a little cleaning. Which is all too bad as the rest of the grill is typically in great shape.

I am converting my SS Platinum to open cart design for that same reason. SS sides and bottom on those things would have added to the cost, but you would basically have a grill that is guaranteed to last 25 plus years aside from some minor replacements such as burners and flavorizer bars and you wouldn't even need a written guaranteed from Weber to know it would last that long. What would that have added to the price of one those grills? Maybe $100 or $200? Too bad weber didn't go that extra mile. The "Weber Plutonium SS grill"

This is what I mean about cabinet grills up here. It looks fine on the outside, just keep those doors closed.

https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/prairie-du-sac-weber-spirit-stainless/6938993352.html

I agree Bruce. Those carts should have been stainless or at least had that option.

But at least Weber has always gone with the cast aluminum on their fire boxes when so many manufacturers go with low quality sheet metal.

Yah, Jon, that is a great rehab for a flip. I like those handles. Much better than stock. I tend to stay away from the cabinet grills but I would still like a link to those handles in case I need some in the future. Did you grind out the firebox?

Here is the link on Amazon. One box can do five grills:).

(10 Pack) 5" Hole Center - 7.4" Overall Length - Solid Stainless Steel, Euro Style T-Bar Handle Pull, Brushed Stainless Steel Finish - for Kitchen/Bathroom/Cabinet/Dresser Handles https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07KY3G294/tvwb-20

I did wire brush the firebox and hood side pieces. I don’t mind doing it - maybe because my production is so low that I don’t have cause to get fed up. I would rather grind out fireboxes than spray paint:eek:!

I was also trying to go all out because this is the first Weber gas rehab I have done in a long time and a trial balloon for me to test my local market for a well-restored Weber. I got a ping as soon as I listed it on OfferUp. We will see how it goes. Next up is a SE black 330 with sear burner for my boss. Then I am really looking forward to doing a classic wood slat Genesis to sell for as much as possible. I have never done one to sell for market price and am very curious to see if it will move at a high enough amount to be worth all the effort.

I'm going to outright copy it!

I'd ask Jon to cut and paste it so I don't have to type it all, but that would be asking too much.

Ralph,
If you private message me your email address I will be happy to send you a Word copy you can use and modify.

Back