Heritage Pork Chops with Apples and Onion

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Earlier this year I picked up some great pork chops at Santa Rosa Meats. Still had a couple in the freezer and pulled them for dinner. Growing up my Mom always had applesauce when we had pork. I sliced up a couple of apples and an onion to accompany the chops and made garlic mashed potatoes as well. Here goes.

These are bone in rib chops, about 1 1/4" thick. Let thaw in the afternoon.

enhance

Made the mashed potatoes early on in the evening. After boiling the potatoes I mashed them up with lots of chopped garlic and buttermilk.

enhance

Seared the chops first, around 3 minutes a side. BTW, entire cook lid off. :D

enhance

enhance

Pulled the chops and set aside. Grilled up the apples and onion.

enhance

Reintroduced the chops when apples and onion got soft and let roll for another 3 minutes or so until meat got up to 135-140.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

enhance

The chops were outstanding. Juicy and wonderful flavor. Potatoes were a hit. In case you're wondering, my butter was hard as a rock. Softened and buttered the potatoes after taking photo. Thanks for looking everyone! Have a great weekend.

You never cease to amaze us with your Wonderfull cooks Cliff. i'd like a plate of those chops and fixings now please.

Yum!!! That’s one of my favorite meals. I add homemade sauerkraut to the apples and onions. Nice looking chops!

Wow is all that comes to mind!
Wish I could get my hands on some rib chops like yours.
I quit buying loin chops, to me they're the chicken breast of a pig. Heritage loin chops might be different.

Cliff, you out did yourself again. That is one fantastic cook, everything looks so yummy. Like Bob said, I wish we could find chops like that.

Another wonderful cook from Chef Cliff. I like Bob have quite buying pork loin chops. I may have to look into Costco to see what they might have, no real butchers within a hundred miles of here. Sure do miss the days of quality pork.

Just bumping this thread because this is freaking delicious. Thanks, Cliff! Made these last night, pretty much exactly the way you've laid it down. Thank you...outstanding!!

Wow, amazing looking combo. The whole idea of sautéed onions and apples mixed with the chops, just WOW. Had to be delicious. Certainly looks like it !!!

I just told Cliff the other day I am missing his cooks right now with him not being able to cook outside do to the fires. This was get to see a Cliff classic that I had never seen.

Looks great! My favorite meal. I like to add my homemade sauerkraut into the apples and onions.

Hard to believe that was over a year ago. Thank you all for the second round of comments. Kind of cool to have one of your cooks dragged out of "mothballs".

Back