Sidewinder?

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
I need a new project grill. I know the issue with these would be rust, but it looks good on the outside. Is this price right???

I like the older ones for sure, but they are getting scarce:)

arGb0L2.jpg

Ralph:
Yes:
It's a sidewinder. We've got two 2007's online one with a sideburner. Also have one for parts down the road. Things to look for for rust is the bottom panel and around the casters posts. I'm surprised it needs burners, flavor bars probably and maybe grates. Good luck. If you need to replace the firebox bolts, there are two styles depending on the year of build. 2007 bolts have a long shank and then threaded portion. The 2007 manifold has two bolts to the firebox and a cross brace under the manifold. The 2008-2010 genesis has slots in the frame to hold the right end of the manifold.

Last edited:
The push button battery powered igniter may not be operable. While the top and bottom battery contacts are important, the little contacts on the outside of the pushbutton are usually the culprit to make contact with the spring in the base unit of the igniter.

Yah, if that thing is not rusted inside the cabinet, then $75 is a good price IMO. The E series grills are more modern looking and will usually fetch a higher rehab price than a Silver B/C. But, around me, it is tough to find even the newer front burner version without significant rust inside the cabinet.

My guess is the burners are OK and maybe just need a cleaning.

I paid $30 for a rust free S320 with side burner a few weeks ago. I would try to haggle the seller down a bit. And again rust in the cabinet is the key issue on these.

I would be curious about the amount of rust in the bottom of the cabinet.
I would imagine OK. would be similar to KC. I seem to find many more
rust free than our neighbors up north, and on the coasts.

One very encouraging thing I see on that one is that the frame bottoms appear good with all the wheels held in place. A far cry from what I often see here in Florida:

cJXAVt2.jpg

lkuP4js.jpg

Resigned to the fact that older grills aren't around, i decided to jump in with the newer stuff. Some 7528 Stainless grates popped up on Craigslist for $40.00, so I jumped on those thinking that I could find a grill that needed them. Then, next day this $40.00 sidewinder. Hardly a spec of rust in the cabinet except where the magnets hit, good grates, though it does need FBs. Even the warming rack is rust free, just sooty. Also needs at least a couple of casters-those things are crazy expensive for these grills. Anyone have a source for cheaper ones? I may check with Weber. Probably also an igniter, but I need to mess with it. All in, i think I can turn this and not lose any money.

Also picking up a similar condition later model S330 tomorrow, so I'll be learning about Weber's offerings through 2015 or so. Genesis IIs are starting to show up on FB and craigslist around here, so it won't be long for those either.

67tDSym.jpg

GHCzkHZ.jpg

uqLtKoa.jpg

i think I can turn this and not lose any money.

67tDSym.jpg

Save those cast iron grates for another grill on another day. Use the stainless grates you picked up instead.
Add stainless flavorizers, new igniter and fix the wheels. (Bruce will take care of you)
Get it detailed and shiny as you have your other grills and you can sell that for $275 to $300 all day long.

I redid three E3xx grills last year. An E320 sidewinder, an E310 sidewinder and an E310 front control. I got $300+ on each of them as flips. It is just really hard to find them around here without significant rust inside the cabinet.

After seeing some of these E3xx I'm sure glad rust isn't allowed in Arizona. My 2007 E320 is completely rust free.

This grill doesn't need paint on the box,but there are some baked on spot along the edges I'd like to clean up. Anyone used the Sam's cleaner for that without stripping the paint?

Nobody has found a really good paint substitute for these, correct?

Thanks

Back