Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri Tip - Advice Needed

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KToliver View Post
    So how does freezing the meat affect the end product in a smoker? I've yet to test it and would appreciate an opinion.
    I've never noticed a loss in quality with frozen meats.
    We have an old upright freezer that's not self defrosting, and I keep it at zero F.
    I can't vouch for quality storing meat in a self defrost freezer. Probably fine if not stored too long.
    One does have to plan ahead and let the meat thaw slowly in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    I've never pondered whether or not there's a difference between a slow thaw in a fridge vs. a quick thaw in a bucket of cold water. The majority of my thaws are in water. Does that impact quality?

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I've never noticed a loss in quality with frozen meats.
    We have an old upright freezer that's not self defrosting, and I keep it at zero F.
    I can't vouch for quality storing meat in a self defrost freezer. Probably fine if not stored too long.
    We have two self defrost freezers. We vacuum pack everything that goes into the freezers also run the freezers at -10. I have kept somethings up to fifteen months and were just as good as anything we've used sooner. I will say if the vacuum package loses it's seal with the defrost cycle kicking on and off the meat will get freezer burn big time. It's only happened a coupe of times and the pups love it when that happens.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    I've never pondered whether or not there's a difference between a slow thaw in a fridge vs. a quick thaw in a bucket of cold water. The majority of my thaws are in water. Does that impact quality?
    We do both mostly with chicken and I can't tell any difference. Big cuts of meat I try and plan ahead and slow defrost in the fridge.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Cliff Bartlett's Avatar
    I've been cooking tri tips for years and absolutely love them. The family too. I did purchase one last year from our one and only meat market/delicatessen in town. Had some family over for dinner and everyone politely ate their meal. The meat was terrible, as you experienced, extremely tough and chewy. The small amount that was left I tossed and later the next day I stopped by and told one of the employees about the experience, just as an FYI. I didn't expect anything in return. He walked over and pulled out another nice tri tip, wrapped it and gave it to me. No charge. This one was delicious.
    Last edited by Cliff Bartlett; 07-21-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB Fan
    The Tri Tip will now be a long standing addition to our smoker list. The real sell was the fact that I can get one on, smoked, and to the table in less than 2 hours. Can’t beat that flavor in so little time.

No doubt that my next investment will need to be a vacuum sealer. It is hard to pass up those dual tri tips at Costco now.
    WSM 18.5, Cajun Bandit SS Door, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

No doubt that my next investment will need to be a vacuum sealer.
    I could not make meals without one, whether I'm smoking or making everyday meals in the kitchen.

Try one like a brisket, if you dare.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?689...hlight=brisket

TVWBB Fan
    Try one like a brisket, if you dare.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?689...hlight=brisket
    Already was looking at one that Harry Soo did like that! Definitely will plan it down the road sometime.

The big questions are; was the flavor distinctly different than brisket or is it just too similar? Did the tri tip get more tender from the additional time to break down the connective tissue?
    WSM 18.5, Cajun Bandit SS Door, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

Already was looking at one that Harry Soo did like that! Definitely will plan it down the road sometime.

The big questions are; was the flavor distinctly different than brisket or is it just too similar? Did the tri tip get more tender from the additional time to break down the connective tissue?
    Very tender, very brisket-like, just not as moist. Perfect for the two of us when we crave brisket.
    I don't think tri tips have connective tissue.
    Here's the first one I did with a little more detail.
    https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?421...-Bubba-s-style

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast