Bring old WSM back to life

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a newer used WSM few years ago, the solo in image. Had lot of temp problems. Put gasket kit in and was better but hard to get apart. My old 20 yo was always rock solid on temps. Decided to get back out. What a mess it was. Cleaned up best I could. The grates are a mess. Could I run them through a oven cleaning cycle?

48329450796_96cb53e64e_k.jpg
[/url]20190720_072409 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

48329457361_4e7bb728d1_k.jpg
[/url]20190720_072536 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

48329589007_051353b82f_k.jpg
[/url]20190720_073016 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I ran grates and water pans through oven clean cycle. Grates rusty but gunk off. Will have into check into new grates. I ran the old one with the double water pans and doing the newer one with the big pan they came with it with clay saucer. I like clean up with the saucer better. May get one for old one. Bought 4 Winco 13qt bowls but to small for old one.

Yes, you can clean the grates in an oven cleaning cycle. I will sometimes put them in my gasser to clean. You can buy new grates on Amazon if they are too rusty.

You do have a nice pair of smokers there!

I’d get new grates. Those look pretty rusty. Heat, from an oven or grill, is not going to take off rust. If I’m wrong and that’s not rust, then I would use oven cleaner and clean them that way. Also, unless you’re going to use both smokers at the same time, you could just use the grates from the newer one. Or, if you were going to do something in a pan, like this
https://virtualweberbullet.com/shreddedbeef.html]
then it wouldn’t matter.

Last edited:
Going to replace grates. Found another Brinkman pan in shop. In the past used the stacked water pans with spacers on it. Gonna do a dry run on it this weekend.

Last edited:

Back