Thanks again, Bryan, Steve and Ralph (and all, really)

Darren C.

TVWBB Pro
It's been awhile since I last posted. And, because I've been working on my weight, I haven't been doing long cooks or smoking fattier foods like ribs or butts. But, I did smoke a couple of butts for the 4th and the cook was impressive. I'm "slow" cooking a pork loin now. And, the temperature control is amazing. I just wanted to thank you all for all of the previous and ongoing support you provide. This is such a wonderful project and once you get it dialed in, it's nothing short of amazing.

And Ralph, thanks for encouraging me to stay with he Akorn. I'm still using it. And, it's crazy efficient.

Awesome!

Hey, a HeaterMeter can be used for anything-- butts to loins to breasts to environmental monitoring. Here's a photo I got this week of "how to know if the A/C thermostat is reading correctly"

The pork loin turned out great. When the temps got close to my 155 target, I dialed back the pit temp to 175, then changed my mind to make it 200. The Heatermeter did its thing. I'll be doing another loin like this. Oh and speaking of the Akorn's efficiency, this is using only the leftover charcoal from when I did the butts on the 4th. That cook was approx. from 8pm to 1pm the next day (about 14-15 hrs). I haven't looked today, but I bet I could do several more cooks like this without adding any additional charcoal.

YsBW2DRl.png

This hobby can be a bit rough on the waistline! Glad you're still happy with your rig and found a way to make more healthy meals, I love my Akorn too...
Last year I got a Vision B Diamond Cut Kamado for incredibly cheap (labor day sale at Sam's Club, they were clearing out midwest stock cheap before winter), I was excited to move to a real ceramic kamado. Much to my surprise I have found the Akorn to be more efficient, it burns way less coal than this Vision.
I still have some tweaking to do on the vision, the lid doesn't seal as well as I would like and the top vent design leaves a bit to be desired, so it's probably leaking a bit more than the Akorn... it's also a bit larger. That said, I like grate design on the akorn way better, it is at the perfect height and the center hole makes it easy to add wood chunks and tend the fire, I find the Vision grates to be too low and too high.. I plan to address this with a couple mods at some point. I like the top vent better on the akorn too, the vision vent is a goofy design IMHO. I'd kinda like to replace the top vent as well but haven't decided on a way forward for that. One thing that surprised me about the Vision is I am getting a better smoke ring than the akorn for some reason, the food does come out really well on the vision.

Back