Cataract Surgery

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Over the last 3 weeks I've had cataracts removed from both eyes. I got the standard lenses and the change in vision is much better than I expected. Granted, I had a great surgeon (retired Navy of course) but he was even surprised with the results. Before surgery he told me the lenses would help distance vision but I would need cheaters to read. Yesterday I had my one week follow up and I read the bottom line on the reading chart. I can now read the smallest print on this forum without glasses. Doc says I'm lucky as that doesn't happen very often.

No pain, very little discomfort, and fantastic improvement. At 77 I can see like I did at 30. I am one very happy camper.

Over the last 3 weeks I've had cataracts removed from both eyes. I got the standard lenses and the change in vision is much better than I expected. Granted, I had a great surgeon (retired Navy of course) but he was even surprised with the results. Before surgery he told me the lenses would help distance vision but I would need cheaters to read. Yesterday I had my one week follow up and I read the bottom line on the reading chart. I can now read the smallest print on this forum without glasses. Doc says I'm lucky as that doesn't happen very often.

No pain, very little discomfort, and fantastic improvement. At 77 I can see like I did at 30. I am one very happy camper.

Lew, I am so very happy for you. Isn't it great to get rid of those d--n glasses? I had been wearing them since I was 8. Got rid of mine a few years ago.

Excellent Lew !!! Now with some speed reading improvements, you'll be able to read those fine print disclaimers as they flash across the tv screen.... ;)

Excellent. Wife had hers done. Went with the vision correcting type. But she's right back where she was prior to surgery. Still needing glasses. Just not cloudy vision anymore. Last checkup doc said I have some forming (gonna be 68 this year) but he said I would not need anything done for at least another 5 years. At the rate I am falling apart I hope I am around to have it done :D

Excellent. Wife had hers done. Went with the vision correcting type. But she's right back where she was prior to surgery. Still needing glasses. Just not cloudy vision anymore. Last checkup doc said I have some forming (gonna be 68 this year) but he said I would not need anything done for at least another 5 years. At the rate I am falling apart I hope I am around to have it done :D

Different method but same ending. My brother had surgery for that. Took a while to be able to see normally but now (~7-8 mo later), its back to what it was. He can read but only if he's wearing the glasses he used to use for driving. NOT a happy camper. 79 yr.

That’s awesome Lew! My mom had cataract surgery (several years ago) with similar results. She still talks about how happy she is with the results.
Tim

Yes Joan, it is great to not need glasses. I was a Navy Pilot and had very sharp vision until about 45 and that's when I started wearing glasses. My wife had good results when Dr. Yochum did her eyes but she had other vision problems so it didn't solve all her problems. As the Doc said, I'm Lucky - and things seems to get sharper as days pass..

I still can't read fast enough to read the fine print flashing by on TV commercials.

Great news Lew. At 71 I'm lucky, my eye doctor said I have the start of cataracts but no need to do anything for five years or more.

Lewis this is great news, and great to hear how well your eyes are recovering,that is amazing. If a person has a great doctor and not many vision issues thet can do get things today.
Happy for you.

DH took his friend this morning to get his cataracts taken care of. Let's hope he has good results. Maybe this post and good results from his friend will help DH cope with his cataract operation coming soon.

Back