2019 Clayton BBQ Cookoff

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
It was a hot--but not too hot--time in Clayton, CA on July 13 for the Clayton BBQ Cookoff. We judges showed up to render scores on barbecue entries from 31 pro teams and 22 backyard teams. Congrats to Big Poppa Smokers for winning Grand Champion and The Smoking J's for winning Reserve Champion (the J's have been on a bit of a roll lately...keep it up, boys). And congrats to Smoke It Like It's Hot for taking the backyard comp.

Shout-out to Rory Richmond from the Clayton Business and Community Association. He's the one spearheading this annual event that we all love attending. Exceedingly well done this year, sir!

While we missed the giant tractor-trailer mounted Idaho potato this year, we enjoyed the old-fashioned stage coach rides. The food court offerings seemed of especially high quality this year, not only of barbecue but of poutine and French dip sandwiches and grilled corn and more. My personal favorite was the Mister Bomboloni booth selling little donut-like balls injected with different flavors, rolled in sugar, and served on a skewer in a fancy paper cone. Soooo good!

I hope you have a fun BBQ contest like the Clayton BBQ Cookoff in your neck of the woods. Why not visit a BBQ competition in your area this summer?

Here are some photos of the day...enjoy!

9bepdu8.jpg

Crowded street scene at Clayton BBQ Cookoff.

hp8rRVe.jpg

Step right up for your ticket to ride with Harris Stage Lines.

VMvRLxC.jpg

Stagecoach loaded up and ready to roll.

AzHn56o.jpg

Here's what a horse and stagecoach can do to Botts' Dots (that's what we call 'em in California).

SaA9IoL.jpg

Check-out the poutine from S&K Poutine Food Truck...

lR5t0rh.jpg

Lookin' tasty!

lIcgL3A.jpg

How about a sandwich from Mario's French Dip in Livermore?

nUZMH7D.jpg

Oh yeah! Available in prime rib, tri-tip, turkey, pork loin, pulled pork, corned beef, and pastrami versions. And those fries are no slouch, either!

0SNeaCo.jpg

Looks like a rib and brisket plate to me...what's the green stuff for?!? LOL!

ryGKd8p.jpg

Want chili? A hot dog? A hot link? We got that.

Continued...

psxLVSY.jpg

Want just ribs. We got that, too.

MHSlT50.jpg

Ralph Reyes of Lord of the Ribs was about to sell-out of ribs for the day.

pAsW787.jpg

Pig in a Pickle BBQ was serving up grilled corn to the hungry masses. A little flame action going on here.

kYAdnZM.jpg

Nothing better than fresh, in-season corn on the cob!

tuX9Iu7.jpg

And let's finish things off with dessert. Here's the Mr. Bomboloni booth I mentioned earlier.

Xc5huDe.jpg

This woman said, "Your booth is so cute!" The man said, "Everything that looks cute, my girlfriend did it. Everything that tastes good, I did it." Referee standing by in case of a rules violation.

DPiQWQu.jpg

Mix-n-match from among four delicious flavors, skewered to order.

n4iftFn.jpg

Fellow KCBS judges Pete and Sherry Aragon from San Diego, showing off their sweet treats..."photo-bomboloni-ed" by the booth owner!

NMOaB4S.jpg

Reliving the experience...wishing I had some right now...

Continued...

4yk0Jmp.jpg

Kids (and some young-at-heart adults) visiting the Face Painting booth.

A4hmko7.jpg

Safeway was on-site doing their thing. Cute restored redhead Dodge flatbed.

tyym9Tw.jpg

Everyone wanted to pose with this sweet little ride. Notice the nod to "Cars".

BlSUX3U.jpg

Making my way back toward the competition team area.

uKUjVut.jpg

Flags flying high over the team area. Teams were packed in pretty tight this year.

gYKsTXx.jpg

Shout-out to this WSM winner, Jermaine Austin from Lincoln, CA. He grabbed me as I was walking by, "Hey, aren't you the Virtual Weber guy?" We had an enjoyable conversation, took a nice selfie, and he went home with a trophy at the end of the day! Well done, Jermaine!

q3s7e0A.jpg

Old Town Franklin BBQ in the house, flying a banner for Golden Gate Meat Company. I had the absolute pleasure of sitting at the judge's table with event sponsor and guest judge Jimi Z, President of Golden Gate Meat Company. Really enjoyed talking with him, hearing about their new restaurant opening soon at their Richmond CA location, and learning about all of the super-high-quality types/brands of meat they're selling. Jimi offered a personal tour of their facility, I'm looking forward to taking him up on it soon!

---

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for looking!

My father in law and myself were there cooking in the backyard division. It was good time. A little warm, but had a great cook and met some nice people. Ribs were good enough for second place that day. Thanks to all the judges/volunteers that made it a great day!

My father in law and myself were there cooking in the backyard division. It was good time. A little warm, but had a great cook and met some nice people. Ribs were good enough for second place that day. Thanks to all the judges/volunteers that made it a great day!

Congrats on placing in ribs, Gary! :D

For some reason, didn't see this thread until now. Great pictures of what looks like to be a very nice event. Glad people had a good time. Did Jermaine sign up for this forum yet?

Back