Surface corrosion on 2012 Genesis

Ben M.

Hello all-

I just received this hand-me-down grill from a good friend who's new pad won't accommodate this beauty :) :genesisplatinum:

In general the grill is in great shape (the top and knobs were replaced last year), but it's showing some ...minor surface corrosion (?) on the doors and control panel.

IMG_2109_zpstey7piub.jpg

IMG_2110_zpsicc9ljzr.jpg

My initial thought was that this was just 'grunge' or hard water stains so I attempted cleaning with Simple Green and a sponge, but it's certainly tougher than that.

What's the best way to clean / treat / prevent this in the future? I can try a light vinegar wash and sponge scub, or I can reach for something like CLR but I don't want to damage anything.

Your help is appreciated-

I would use a 3M Scotchbright green scrubby or even a knockoff brand along with the simple green or better yet some Stainless steel cleaner/polish. Make sure you scrub with the grain of the stainless steel when doing so. If that doesn't work, you could try some CLR with the green scrubby, but I would first try that on a safe place. That would take care of any hard water stains.

I am thinking that is not corrosion, but more like a stain from something spattered on it. Good luck.

The one I just sold looked similar when I got it. Got it nice and clean with some 0000 steel wool and simple green.

The steel wool is a little tricky. In theory, it can leave behind tiny particles of steel wool that will lead to surface rust. When I do SS, I opt for the safer green scrubbies and I have no personal experience with steel wool creating problems later on, but I just figure it is better to play it safe.

In the future when you get those weird hard water stains use white vinegar. It will cut them right off

LOL. I guess if you haven't gotten a call on it, then all is good.

Just sold it yesterday. No rust yet. Plus this is Texas. Stuff doesn’t rust here. Lol
And the couple was static about the shine of the grill. And no one complained about the black color either. It was the grill that gave me so much grief with the grey color I used originally.

Awesome Stephan. Yah, I see no problem going black on the E3xx grills. It gives it some character and uniqueness.

I realize it is sold, but I will put a plug in for Bar Keeper's Friend. I know some say it doesn't work, and I can't say that it really is better than say Comet or Ajax. All I can say is that I have had good success in situations similar to what you showed on that Genesis.

2a7dh1y.jpg

Bar keepers friend is a super solid idea! Ive used it on chrome in the past, but never stainless. I’ll start with white vinegar and a non-abrasive scrubber and work my way up if needed.

Thanks for all your help-

Alrighty, tried vinegar and a non-abrasive scrubber on one table. It worked, but required a lot of elbow grease.

Not that I’m lazy, just looking to be efficient; I cleaned the underside of the side burner lid with barkeepers friend and the same scrubber. Brilliant results: a good shine, no noticeable scratches, way less elbow grease required. So, I hit the whole grill. Used the non-abrasive pad ‘with the grain’ on wide open areas and used the sponge gently around knobs and in corners.

Stay tuned for photos-

Last edited:
Cool. I dont do a lot of stainless stuff, But, I will get some bar keepers friend for when I do.

I don't get the love for BKF. I tried it once and hated it. Left a pasty residue. Hard to get off without a hose.

I have seen a lot of positive and some negative posts on the stuff over the years. It has stood the test of time because it has been around for a long time. I am inclined to think that it has some merit. However, it might be some people not using it correctly or using it for a situation that it is not designed to handle that account for most of the poor reviews.

I haven't tried this on our sideburner cover yet, but we have used Bon Ami for decades on our Stainless Cuisinart pans and corning-ware. Never tried, BKF, but I'll have to pick up some.

Back