Brisket FAT

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
trimmed an 18 pound brisket to 12½ lbs.
and a 14¼lb brisket to 8 pounds....

besides tossing the fat in the trash, does anyone know of a use for nearly 10 pounds of brisket fat?

I saw this last week, a barbecue joint in Ft Worth, Flores Barbecue, that is doing Tex Mex Barbecue

The early menu didn’t reflect the Tex-Mex side of his upbringing, but that changed when Flores moved into a building in 2017, giving him room to try to replicate his grandmother’s flour tortillas. Instead of shortening or lard, he substituted brisket fat, which gives the tortillas their barbecue flavor.

But I think Dustin is who ya need to talk to bout brisket tallow.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/tex-mex-bbq-make-perfect-couple/

I grind up some in my beef sausage. Beef Tallow is a great use. You could turn that tallow into soap if you wanna go that route. I put beef fat in a crock pot outside (because it smells) and let it render. You can use tallow in anything you'd use vegetable oil or a fat.

Probably last option on the list: They make great food for song birds and other. Hang them in a metal or other mesh, from a bird feeder, especially in the winter, and you'll have plenty of little visitors.

My mind immediately went to homemade candles. Old school, baby.

How to Make Tallow Candles

Somehow I would have an issue with that

Most early Western cultures relied primarily on candles rendered from animal fat (tallow). ... Unlike animal-based tallow, beeswax burned pure and cleanly, without producing a smoky flame. It also emitted a pleasant sweet smell rather than the foul, acrid odor of tallow.

Last edited:
thanks for all the GREAT ideas folks!

gave the fat to a trapper.
he thanked me endlessly.

Go think.

Hope he traps a black angus and shares it with you. :rolleyes:
I wish.
Traps rodents; i.e. raccoon, coyote, groundhog, skunk....
So, you just came upon a trapper while you were out in the woods? Okay. :cool:
that’s good, Jerry :D
no..... I do know him from the same place I labor my lazy butt at.
I remember he took some troublesome coons away from here and trapped them with suet and marshmallows, so I gave him a call.

I wish.
Traps rodents; i.e. raccoon, coyote, groundhog, skunk....
that’s good, Jerry :D
no..... I do know him from the same place I labor my lazy butt at.
I remember he took some troublesome coons away from here and trapped them with suet and marshmallows, so I gave him a call.

Oh. Never thought of that. I had this vision of a guy with beaver pelts heading to the trading post. But, that makes sense to call someone who deals with vermin a trapper.

Funny story. I was reading on the Neighbor site and this lady had a rat problem. But, she wanted them trapped with a live trap and relocated. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. I hope your friend doesn’t relocate rats. Hopefully, he takes their pelts to the trading post. :)

been told he does relocate many varmints but i know he is a coyote hunter. Also a big bear hunter.
He is not an exterminator so dealing with mice or rats is probably time wasted.

Back