Smoked Chicken Enchilada casserole

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Been craving enchiladas lately so I decided to make enchilada casserole. Its super simple too make and you can change up the fillings depending on what you have or want. Instead of rolling them up you just lay the tortillas flat like you would like lasagna.

Here's what I put in ours this time:

1 28 ounce (or two small cans) enchilada sauce
18-24 corn tortillas
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can olives (if you buy pre-sliced use two of the small cans.)
1 small bag frozen corn
1 large package grated Mexican three cheese mix
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 onion chopped
1 small can of diced green chiles
2 pre-cooked chicken breasts shredded

To start you'll need to cook your chicken. Whole chickens have been on sale here lately so I spatched one and smoked it on the 14" WSM.
Since I only needed the breasts for the casserole I used the rest of the bird for lunches.

I seasoned the bird and let it rest in the fridge over night.

Into the smoker. Started at 285° pit temp, ended at 325°. Used Kingsford professional and cherry.

48260090066_ab5242fe28_c.jpg

48266269336_7ac6f92a06_c.jpg

48266269816_99088da11d_c.jpg

You'll need a 9x13 casserole dish, or whatever you like to use. It was hot so I decided to bake the casserole on the gas bbq. So I used our Pyrex dish, wife doesn't care if it gets cruddy.

1. In a large pan heat a table spoon of oil.
2. Add chopped onion and saute until onion turns translucent.
3. Add beans, corn, cooked chicken and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer.
4. Pour enough enchilada sauce to cover bottom of casserole.
5. Cover bottom of casserole with 6 tortillas. Over lap tortillas
6. Brush top of tortillas with enchilada sauce
7. Spoon 1/3 of the meat mixture onto tortillas spread evenly.
8. Sprinkle layer of cheese onto meat mixture
9. Add 1/3 of spinach, 1/3 sliced olives
10. Repeat steps 5-9 (brush booth sides of tortillas with enchilada sauce
11. Top final layer with tortillas. Brush bottom side of tortilla with enchilada sauce.
12. Add remaining olives on top, sprinkle remaining cheese
13. Put in 350° oven and cook until bubbly and hot thru. 25-30 minutes.

Allow to cool a bit before cutting into. Serve with salsa, sour cream, avocado.

48291931467_a01dedb5d6_c.jpg

48291902672_f64a19433c_c.jpg

48291801566_c44848c3a8_c.jpg

48291901412_5224baeffb_c.jpg

Last edited:
Betcha Barb will be all over that casserole like the taco bowls. Which by the way looks excellent Case, simple and I bet super tasty.

Damn, that looks excellent, Case!

Yes sir! That looks mighty tasty. Saved this to my recipes folder. Thank you very much for sharing!

Man Case, you are on a roll. That looks so yummy, great job.

Betcha Barb will be all over that casserole like the taco bowls. Which by the way looks excellent Case, simple and I bet super tasty.

Thanks all! It made for some tasty meals.

Good Lookin Home Cookin.

I'll have to try to copy. I love enchiladas - I'll go so far as to make my own enchilada sauce, or sometimes I'll used a rotisserie chicken from the store & canned sauce - I love it either way.

Good Lookin Home Cookin.

I'll have to try to copy. I love enchiladas - I'll go so far as to make my own enchilada sauce, or sometimes I'll used a rotisserie chicken from the store & canned sauce - I love it either way.

Thanks Clint! Growing up my favorite when we went out to eat was Picadillo (shredded beef) enchiladas. Then in high school we had a place that served burritos “wet”, smothered in enchilada sauce and grated cheese. Always a favorite meal for me. This casserole is great as you can change up the fillings to use what you have on hand.ive been the rotisserie chicken route many a time when in a rush.

Back