Using Billows with pork butt

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I used the ThermoWorks Billows auto-temp control device for the first time to barbecue two pork butts. It worked great, but I had problems getting the app to connect. The Signals controller + Billows fan maintained 275°F easily until I pulled the pork at 170°F, foiled it, and moved it into the oven at midnight. Don't ask why I started these guys at 5:30pm. #PoorPlanning

You can see a video I posted to Facebook as I just got started...click the pic to view.

Regarding the Signals firmware upgrade I mentioned in the video, when I first plugged Billows into Signals and opened the app on my smartphone, I got a message saying that there was a firmware update for Signals, do you want to accept? Of course I said no, I've already got the fire lit and I need to just start using this thing, I'll do the update later! Then I sat there wondering why the blower wasn't running...until I went to ThermoWorks.com and watched the Billows Walk-Through video. Ugh.

And here are some post-cook photos.

Hi92YTv.jpg

NxAqFcG.jpg

Du91R3O.jpg

08wJOV7.jpg

Thanks for all your work getting things up and running again Chris. And to think you had time to do this too. Looks delicious. Love that shot in the foil!

Looks like you got it going, after what you must have gone through with the forum crash I would have thought you would be sleeping for a few days.;).
I kind of put ATCs in the same category as self driving cars.... Not for me, but to each his own.
The thrill of chasing temps on the WSM on a windy rainy day and successfully getting the perfect pork butt, ah the sweet smell of victory.

Last edited:

Back