A new "flip grill" stainless grate on Amazon?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Seems that Uniflasys became Hisencn, at least as far as being the low price leader for stainless rod grates. As of writing, neither are available for the Genesis x000/Silver/Gold/Platinum on Amazon. So, now here is another entry: BBQ-Toro.

Right now $29.95 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. I am sure they also come up short somewhere, but if the pictures and write-up are to be believed there are 14 bars per grate rather than just 13 like the earlier ones mentioned. Also, the description claims ".3 inches" thickness which, if true, would make them a hair wider than them also, about 7.64mm. I am skeptical, but this does look to have some potential for basic flip grills. If everything is true, it would fall somewhere between the cheapo ones and the nicer Qlimetal/Hongso grates. These grates are 17.25" front to back, so they do have the same loose fit potential as the previous bargain grates. If your firebox is bowed out, that could be a hassle as Bruce has experienced.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F75Z61J/tvwb-20

Last edited:
Keep us posted. I would be interested if the fit is better than the Hiscen/Uniflasy grates.

Yes these grates seem to be the only cheap flipper grates right now. But I have not jumped on them yet either since had other ones I could salvage.

Seems that Uniflasys became Hisencn, at least as far as being the low price leader for stainless rod grates. As of writing, neither are available for the Genesis x000/Silver/Gold/Platinum on Amazon. So, now here is another entry: BBQ-Toro.

Right now $29.95 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. I am sure they also come up short somewhere, but if the pictures and write-up are to be believed there are 14 bars per grate rather than just 13 like the earlier ones mentioned. Also, the description claims ".3 inches" thickness which, if true, would make them a hair wider than them also, about 7.64mm. I am skeptical, but this does look to have some potential for basic flip grills. If everything is true, it would fall somewhere between the cheapo ones and the nicer Qlimetal/Hongso grates. These grates are 17.25" front to back, so they do have the same loose fit potential as the previous bargain grates. If your firebox is bowed out, that could be a hassle as Bruce has experienced.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F75Z61J/tvwb-20

So got a set of these last night. I need to take a picture today.
Negatives:
- Widely spaced. I need to measure in detail tonight how widely spaced they are and how thin they are.
Positives:
- Not magnetic. So I guess it might be 304 SS
- Straight welded. The previous cheap SS grates I got were all crooked.
- Price: Just around $30
- Very well packed in solid card board box

Stephan, I would also like to know the true diameter of the rods. Are they 7mm or 7.64mm?

I will measure it tonight. Unfortunately I currently don't have a working electronic sliding caliper. Just a mechanical one.

These BBQ Toro grates are 6mm with 14 bars per grate. That spaces the bars 5/8"' apart.

That compares to Hisencn which are 6.83mm according to my caliper with 13 bars per grate. That spaces the bars just a hair over 5/8" apart. The larger size of the Hisencn bars compensates for the one less bar in terms of the spacing.

My BBQ Toro grates also were essentially non-magnetic and put together pretty nicely. Also, I agree they were packaged very well - much better than Hisencn/Uniflasys. I think these two companies came at solving the low-cost stainless grate problem with two different operating plans. Which one you prefer I suppose depends on your style. Since they are both spaced so similarly, I would say the thicker grates on the Hisencn version does give a more substantial look to them. $29.95 is hard to beat for a basic flip grill, though.

Last edited:
Good price, but those gaps look pretty big.
I think I'd be better off re-seasoning cast iron
grates if given the choice. I would also likely
buy the old stamped stainless grates before
buying those.

How is the fitment for the two grates? Do the sit nice and snug or do they slide around.

I have to check tomorrow. And yes the gaps are wide. I personally would not use these either. But for a flipper grill I don’t mind. I currently have a set of Weber SS grates which are coated black. I have tried all kind of methods to get them decent again. Mechanical, chemical,... Nothing worked. So I rather spend $30 for some new shiny grates before I spend more time.

That's pretty much what I think of either. If you have a basic grill that is not bowed out at all, I think they are an acceptable compromise that many people would see not any issue with at all. Like Larry has suggested, you could have a better set of grates on hand to offer with an "upcharge." For a really nice grill or one that is bowed out somewhat, these are probably not going to be what you want and may not even fit well enough to use if your grill is really bowed out.

I won't say more until I finish my Stainless Rod Grate Showdown. Yes, I am still going to finish it, but time is just hard to set aside with many job, family, etc. things pressing in. I will finish it, though.

Hey Jon, will the Stainless Rod Grate Showdown be the pilot for This Old Grill?

Sam,

Yeah I plan on that being "Episode 1." I hope to get it done and do more. Not a lot of support on the homefront for yet another crazy idea:(!

OK, yah that looks like a big problem. I would definitely return them.

Note to self: Don't buy BBQ-Toro grates.

The upside of that design - ok a limited one - is that when you put them in the way Stefan shows they do stay put. I am not really sure how much a quarter inch change in pitch affects grilling. But I can see why it might not be appealing. The Hisencn ones don’t have that issue because the cross bars are further from the edge, but since they are a little on the short side they can shift around more easily and on a bowed out grill even potentially fall in.

These are both definitely compromise grates with different shortcomings. You just have to decide which ones you can live with or spend a little more for something like Qulimetal or Hongso. I am not done with my analysis for my video but this what I am thinking right now.

Back