BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Hi, I have mentioned throughout this forum various BBQ/Grilling cookbooks that I have and like using and so have a few of you. I thought it would be nice to have this thread to talk more about them. Hope you all agree. For starters, how many BBQ/Grilling cookbooks do you have and do you have a favorite?

I do have several grilling/BBQ cookbooks but I don't think I used any of them. I find recipes on this forum or Amazing Ribs and use those.

I do have a favorite meat cookbook that I highly recommend:
The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells

Lots of very good recipes. One of the simplest and best recipes (not BBQ) in this book is this one:
Lisa's Lazy Pot Roast

The only tweak I make to this is to add more onions. It calls for 3 medium. I probably put in 4-5 large onions. They do reduce in size a lot.

I do have several grilling/BBQ cookbooks but I don't think I used any of them. I find recipes on this forum or Amazing Ribs and use those.

I do have a favorite meat cookbook that I highly recommend:
The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells

Lots of very good recipes. One of the simplest and best recipes (not BBQ) in this book is this one:
Lisa's Lazy Pot Roast

The only tweak I make to this is to add more onions. It calls for 3 medium. I probably put in 4-5 large onions. They do reduce in size a lot.

Hi Bill, I'm a big onion lover, I would do the same thing. lol Looks good, I printed it out, thanks.

Darn, I don't have that book, but I have 2 other ones of his. "Complete Book of Pork" and "Hot Links and Country Flavors".

Darn, I don't have that book, but I have 2 other ones of his. "Complete Book of Pork" and "Hot Links and Country Flavors".

You might want to check out your local library if you're interested in checking it out. Maybe it's available in the inter-library system? I'll have to check out the two books that you mentioned.

You might want to check out your local library if you're interested in checking it out. Maybe it's available in the inter-library system? I'll have to check out the two books that you mentioned.

Wow, I just checked Amazon, they want $54.00 for a new one.

Bill, just curious, what bbq/grilling cookbooks do you have? (if you don't mind me asking)

My favorite is the Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook by Robb Walsh. I've got both of Franklin's books and a few the Weber ones.

Wow, I just checked Amazon, they want $54.00 for a new one.

Probably because it's out of print I'm guessing. If you want it, get a used one. There is a very good condition one for $7 shipped. Choose the other buying option to see what's available used. I've bought copies this way and have always been pleased with the condition.

Let me know if you would like a electronic copy of the book for free.

As for my other BBQ books, I'll try to post later. I'm away from my house at the moment.

My favorite is the Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook by Robb Walsh. I've got both of Franklin's books and a few the Weber ones.

Thanks for replying Dustin, sounds like some good ones there. Have you cooked anything from them? Which Weber books do you have?

The last two that came out, New American Barbecue and Weber's Greatest Hits. I haven't tried too much out of them. I think I did the recipe for flank steak with some kind of salad. I tend to completely bastardize recipes using parts I like from one with another.

The last two that came out, New American Barbecue and Weber's Greatest Hits. I haven't tried too much out of them. I think I did the recipe for flank steak with some kind of salad. I tend to completely bastardize recipes using parts I like from one with another.
I have the New American Barbecue but not Weber's Greatest Hits. Is that the one with recipes from their other books? I have so many of their cookbooks, I thought it would just be duplicates.

When I had my cooking game, I used to ask the players to please make a recipe for the first time as it was written. Otherwise, how could they judge how it really was suppose to taste. After the first time, then they could "change" the recipe to their liking. lol

Check out the recipe on page 206-"Smoked Turkey Pastrami on Rye" Now I wish we had a smoker.

I used to ask the players to please make a recipe for the first time as it was written. Otherwise, how could they judge how it really was suppose to taste. After the first time, then they could "change" the recipe to their liking.

I agree that I try to follow the recipe exactly as written the first time. The only exception might be that I don't have a particular ingredient and I can't be bothered to go to the store to get what I need. But sometimes I will tweak it because it appears to be obviously wrong (e.g, sauce too thick or too thin).

Bill, I will admit that sometimes we do omit certain things once in a while. Too hot or has a herb or two we don't like. But then, we are not cooking for my game anymore. lol

I passed on Weber's Greatest Hits since I figured it would be a re-hash of recipes from their previous books. I have New American Barbecue but haven't tried out any of the recipes yet. Definitely going to try some of them out, though.

A good source of barbecue/grilling books is used bookstores. You can find very good deals. A couple years ago we were browsing through a used bookstore in Kalispell MT, and I found a copy of Raichlen's book BBQ USA for $10. I picked that up.

You can find lot's of good recipes on the Barbecue Bible website, particularly if you're interested in recipes from other areas outside the US.

I passed on Weber's Greatest Hits since I figured it would be a re-hash of recipes from their previous books. I have New American Barbecue but haven't tried out any of the recipes yet. Definitely going to try some of them out, though.

A good source of barbecue/grilling books is used bookstores. You can find very good deals. A couple years ago we were browsing through a used bookstore in Kalispell MT, and I found a copy of Raichlen's book BBQ USA for $10. I picked that up.

You can find lot's of good recipes on the Barbecue Bible website, particularly if you're interested in recipes from other areas outside the US.

Hi Brian, glad to find another fan of Raichlen. I have 22 of his books, including his novel he wrote "Island Apart". Back in 2008 I won an autographed copy of the "Barbecue Bible", Their 10th Anniversary Full Color edition. I also have years of his shows taped. One of his cookbooks, "Miami Spice" has this dedication in it; To Barbara, Betsy and Jake, the reasons I moved to Miami. That was back in 1993.
Glad I looked at that book again. I forgot I had marked a recipe to make, Griots (Haitian Fried Spice Pork). I will have to make a copy of it and put it in our To Make folder. On looking the books over, I have a lot of cookbooks with markers sticking up. Boy!! We BETTER get busy. lol

I have all 15 of Jamie Perviance Weber books along with Raichlens Ribs Ribs Ribs and a host of others I've picked up at yard sales and thrift shops. I also have over 400 recipes I've put in my grilling file on my computer, with hard copies in binders.
We always try to follow a new recipe exactly as it's written unless it has some strange or expensive ingredient that will only be used for that particular recipe. I will see if I can substitute something close that I may have.
Barb and I do a weekly menu and try to incorporate two or three new recipes in each weekly menu. Of course we have our standbys that we keep in the rotation.
We have two refrigerators and a large upright freezer which are always stuffed with meats and freezable items so usually our shopping is just for perishable things we will need for the menu, makes it much easier.

I used to have two. BBQ bible ( which I gave to my Son ) and Smoke & Spice ( which I gave to a member on the old forum who was stationed over seas in Iraq )
I liked both, but my favorite cookbook is JOY. It simply lays out a recipe by ingredient ( step by step ) and tells you the why's and why not's on cooking certain foods.
A WSM or Weber kettle is just a charcoal fired oven, and most recipes cooked indoors can be done outdoors with a little thought and planning.
And both give you that little sumpin, sumpin you don't get cooking on an indoor appliance.:)

Tim

We have a LOT of recipe books for grilling and smoking. The one we have almost worn out is the one I first purchased long ago when I became serious about this whole thing. Weber’s Big Book of Grilling, hands down is the most useful book I own. For a beginner I can’t think of a better book. I give this to friends who are just starting to get into cooking with a grill. Now after years of cooks and many more books, it still is a favorite and a great tool.

I have all 15 of Jamie Perviance Weber books along with Raichlens Ribs Ribs Ribs and a host of others I've picked up at yard sales and thrift shops. I also have over 400 recipes I've put in my grilling file on my computer, with hard copies in binders.
We always try to follow a new recipe exactly as it's written unless it has some strange or expensive ingredient that will only be used for that particular recipe. I will see if I can substitute something close that I may have.
Barb and I do a weekly menu and try to incorporate two or three new recipes in each weekly menu. Of course we have our standbys that we keep in the rotation.
We have two refrigerators and a large upright freezer which are always stuffed with meats and freezable items so usually our shopping is just for perishable things we will need for the menu, makes it much easier.

Rich, your post reads like it could have been written by DH and myself. (except we only have 1 refrigerator/freezer lol) and only 12 of Jamie's books. As much as we try to always set up a weekly menu, sometimes it just does not happen. Especially on those days when it it 3 or 4 in the afternoon and we look at each other and say "what's for dinner?" Then it is usually, "What shall we have delivered" lol

Back