Platinum Stainless steel vs Silver B/C

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Hey guys, just want to verify something. I am working on my platinum stainless grill and it seems the guy must have had a Chernobyl incident in it. The front lip of the opening in the bottom is sagged down. I don't even know if I can get a drip tray in. It didn't come with a drip tray, and now it seems I know why. Anyway, I was going to swap in a Silver B cook box. Will that be a direct fit on the Stainless Platinum frame? I assume so but want confirmation.

Yea the gold platinum and silver had the same cook box that I’m aware of. I have gold and platinum and I have interchanged parts between them. As long as we talking 2005 type.

Must be a thing with Platinums. Mine also has a bulge and warped front evidencing that China Syndrome was starting to happen. Since there is no burn through and this will be a keeper for me, I plan to use as is. But, I do know I could pull a better box out of my pile of disassembled Silver/Gold fireboxes if I needed to.

Yep, I also noticed that the underside of the control panel had black soot on it. Then, I notice the stems on two of the control knobs had some melt down on them. I guess the fire was pushing back through the burner holes and out under the control panel at some point. Probably the same fire that melted the cook box. I might grab a propane torch to see if I can't soften it up enough to push it back into form. I am not sure I can get it hot enough though. If it breaks, Oh well.
Oh, and I did go back and get that Silver B for $10 thinking it was going to be the donor box. Well, I get it home and start taking it apart and find the box burned through above the middle burner. I usually see that kind of stuff on the older 1000's and didn't even think to look at that area. But, I still got a whole tote full of spare parts off it and I have another Silver B with a dented hood that is going to now be the donor cook box for my stainless Genesis Platinum.

That sound like what happened to my Skyline. Middle burner came loose unbeknownst to me. Fire backed out under the control panel, melting two nice black knobs and making a mess. Still, I could have burned my deck and house down. I counted myself as very fortunate.

Oh, I get it. The cross over tube might have broke which allowed the middle burner to fall off the manifold valve and then you have a straight blow torch out of the valve.

Back