Lid off?

Does anyone else grill with the lid off on their charcoal grill?

I like a killer sear on most stuff, and with the lid off, the fire is hotter, and I get that lick of flame for a nice char.

Now dont flame me (no pun intended), I know you get more even heat distribution, no flare ups, and faster cooking times with the lid on, and more often than not, the lid does go back on after the sear, but thats how I roll, and I get lots of compliments on my sears/chars.

Are you really going “there?”
Not throwing gasoline but, you have stated your accomplishments have been well received, and now, you are questioning how to sear? You either get it or you need to ruin a few steaks, I sure as heck have! You learn, with every piece of meat, some want a lot more attention. Some, not so much.
In a week I am going to have a steak party for myself and, only myself, beauty Ribeye, Scotch, maybe some zucchini, not sure tonight. I have time.
Ever hear the term “Two Level” Fire. C’mon!
Yes, there are times to do exactly that! As to “Flaming” I think that's up Chris.
But, as most folks here will decry, “What works for YOU, works for you.” This is a highly personal cooking style. Learning and sharing of information with regard to anyone’s taste is pretty broad.
Read what folks here have said and consider the desired outcome.
I’ve had things go sideways and need to change method midstream so, you need to offer a bit more information, at least for me.
Look for “Reverse Sear” or “Finish Sear”
I like the afterburner sear when it’s one steak for myself.
Time to turn dinner.

Last edited:
Are you really going “there?”
Not throwing gasoline but, you have stated your accomplishments have been well received, and now, you are questioning how to sear?

Um, Im not questioning anything...I know how to sear.

Ever hear the term “Two Level” Fire. C’mon!

Of course, I even mentioned putting the lid back on most of the time.

As to “Flaming” I think that's up Chris.

Huh? Chris who?

This is a highly personal cooking style. Learning and sharing of information with regard to anyone’s taste is pretty broad.

Im not sure you understood my post, bc you are all over the place.

I’ve had things go sideways and need to change method midstream so, you need to offer a bit more information, at least for me.

Not sure how to react to you. Ive explain in detail why I do it, the results, and why, and Ive been doing it for years. What specific information are you looking for?

Look for “Reverse Sear” or “Finish Sear”

I know what both are, again, confused to your point(s).

I like the afterburner sear when it’s one steak for myself.

Again, confused. Why does the number of steaks have anything to do with anything?

Ive actually (successfully) seared steaks with a chimney starter.

If you know how to achieve your desired product what are you asking?
Lid off= higher temperature
Lid on helps with larger pieces. I guess I have no clue what your original post was asking about.
Chris is the site owner and will have last say as to whether or not a post is determined to be a “Flaming or Trolling” post.
Don’t mean to rain on your parade but, I am not sure what your initial post was inquiring about?
Sorry but, I’m not seeing any point to the OP.

Timothy, I don't know why you reacted to this thread the way you did. If you don't see a point to the OP, better to say nothing and ignore the thread or simply watch how the discussion proceeds.

Let's hear from others...anyone else a fan of lid-off charcoal grilling?

There's a time and place for both methods.

My charcoal adventures started with an open grill because that's all that we had! Had great meals and had meat that was not completely 'done' to the guests' expectations.

I now prefer having a lid to better control my cooks but dogs and thin burgers are really good on an open grill with the flames licking them.

Last edited:
Although not a fan of heavy sears or chars I do occasionally grill with the lid off or up so I can monitor the cook. Hot dogs and burgers come to mind. Whatever method you prefer is a matter of personal choice. I don't believe there is any right or wrong way to grill.

When going for a really good & even sear I'll go lid off to get the coals piping hot for a while & then usually use the lid again. My main trick is to bank the coals, piled especially high & close to the grate if I'm going for a really good sear, & of course, leaving the lid off all the way for a few minutes or even just leaving it cracked a little.

The kettles are so forgiving and almost impossible to burn & overcook with the lid on, and even though I love a good sear, a "nothing but sear" cook caused a frozen (quickly defrosted) steak to seem rubbery about a month ago but the rest (not frozen) have turned out my best.

https://gabbysgrills.com/photos/

Although not a fan of heavy sears or chars I do occasionally grill with the lid off or up so I can monitor the cook. Hot dogs and burgers come to mind. Whatever method you prefer is a matter of personal choice. I don't believe there is any right or wrong way to grill.

Wish I could show you some of my "heavy" sears. You wouldn't notice much, and you wouldn't notice any dryness or burning, in fact, my best sears are almost imperceptible :) It's not like a crust on a smash burger, it doesn't get crusty, burnt, charred, or dry. I've only had 1 rubbery steak from a 100% sear cook

Last edited:
Kelley Brown put it most succinctly. It's how hot of a fire do you want/need for your cooking desires.

If I'm looking for the killer sear, I'll load up a charcoal chimney and put a grate over the top. That is the hottest fire I can get, and the grates are just starting to glow in the center. It works very well for a reverse sear, i.e. searing meat off after it's been fully cooked at a low temperature.

I apologize for the tenor of my post.
Thanks Chris for being a voice of tact and reason.
Kelley and JKalchik have covered the point pretty clearly.

If you know how to achieve your desired product what are you asking?

Read my post again...Im asking if anybody ELSE, grills with the lid off to sear.

I guess I have no clue what your original post was asking about.

See above. Im not asking for advice...Im sharing a successful method that i use to sear, and was wondering if anybody else shares that method.

Don’t mean to rain on your parade but, I am not sure what your initial post was inquiring about?

Well, I think the OP was clear, and Ive explained it now 3 times, so my apologies if I have been not been more clear for you, but I dont think there is anything more I can say to you.

Sorry but, I’m not seeing any point to the OP.

Like I said, Ive explained 3 times now, and know nothing more I can say to help you understand.

Again, sorry, and take care.

Last edited:
Guess I'm gonna wade into this ........... I can't recall ever direct grilling with the lid on. The only time I use the lid is when I'm cooking indirect.

I do a combo. For reverse sear, I'll have the meat indirect with the lid on, then take the lid off and place the meat over the coals for the sear.

There's a certain amount of tradition with Weber and lid on grilling. I've gone back and forth. Steak searing I'm usually lid off. Hamburgers I usually go lid on to keep an inferno from happening and to cook them faster. On the gasser, I typically go lid down for everything. I do a lot of indirect grilling lid on obviously. I don't have a strong opinion on the matter.

Sometimes I grill with the kettle lid off just for fun and to see as it cooks. There is almost always more than "just one way" to do almost anything
in life.

Back