Banana-Glazed Butterflied Pork Chops

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
BILL JAMISON- A neighbor gave us around 10 bananas that a friend gave them the other day. Here is what DH is going to do with one of them tonight. You know me, couldn't wait to share this recipe with you all. Will let you know how it turns out.

6 servings

Rub:
1 1/2 TB. paprika
1/2 TB. coarse-ground black pepper
1/2 TB kosher salt
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. packed brown sugar
pinch of cayenne, optional

6 (10 oz. to 12 oz.) double-cut boneless pork chops, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick, butterflied

Banana Glaze:
1 TB. butter
2 large shallots, minced
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt or other coarse salt
1 tsp. brown sugar, optional

To make rub: At least 1 hour and as long as 8 hours before you plan to grill the pork chops, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. If the chops don't already lie flat, pound them lightly along their "seam". Coat the chops with the spice mixture, place them in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

To make glaze: In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté them briefly until translucent. Add remaining glaze ingredients, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The finished glaze should be thickened but quite pourable.

Fire up the grill, bringing the temperature to medium (4 to 5 seconds with the hand test). Remove the chops from the refrigerator and let them sit covered at room temperature for about 20 minutes.

Spritz the chops with no-stick cooking spray and transfer them to the grill. Grill uncovered over medium heat for 20 to 23 minutes, turning several times and brushing the glaze on the chops in the last 3 to 5 minutes of cooling. If grilling covered, cook the chops for 17 to 20 minutes, turning once midway; glaze the top side during the last 3 to 5 minutes of cooling. The chops are done when barely white at the center with clear juices. (Don't confuse the colors of the dry rub and the juices.) Brush again with glaze as the chops come off the grill. Serve the chops hot with additional glaze on the side if you wish.

Source: Sun-Sentinal-May 1998-Bill Jamison-"Born to Grill" pub.1998

Last edited:
Bill Jamison certainly has some good recipe's in his two smoke books. Waiting to see your opinion of this one.
Allen, I'm waiting also. DH is cooking it now for tonights dinner. lol

Your so right about Bill Jamison having some really good recipes. What books do you have? I have....

The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining
Born to Grill
Good Times, Good Grilling
Sublime Smoke

I think it's time for me to go shopping, I'm missing soo many. lol

Last edited:
BILL JAMISON- A neighbor gave us around 10 bananas that a friend gave them the other day. Here is what DH is going to do with one of them tonight. You know me, couldn't wait to share this recipe with you all. Will let you know how it turns out.

6 servings

Rub:
1 1/2 TB. paprika
1/2 TB. coarse-ground black pepper
1/2 TB kosher salt
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. packed brown sugar
pinch of cayenne, optional

6 (10 oz. to 12 oz.) double-cut boneless pork chops, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick, butterflied

Banana Glaze:
1 TB. butter
2 large shallots, minced
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt or other coarse salt
1 tsp. brown sugar, optional

To make rub: At least 1 hour and as long as 8 hours before you plan to grill the pork chops, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. If the chops don't already lie flat, pound them lightly along their "seam". Coat the chops with the spice mixture, place them in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

To make glaze: In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté them briefly until translucent. Add remaining glaze ingredients, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The finished glaze should be thickened but quite pourable.

Fire up the grill, bringing the temperature to medium (4 to 5 seconds with the hand test). Remove the chops from the refrigerator and let them sit covered at room temperature for about 20 minutes.

Spritz the chops with no-stick cooking spray and transfer them to the grill. Grill uncovered over medium heat for 20 to 23 minutes, turning several times and brushing the glaze on the chops in the last 3 to 5 minutes of cooling. If grilling covered, cook the chops for 17 to 20 minutes, turning once midway; glaze the top side during the last 3 to 5 minutes of cooling. The chops are done when barely white at the center with clear juices. (Don't confuse the colors of the dry rub and the juices.) Brush again with glaze as the chops come off the grill. Serve the chops hot with additional glaze on the side if you wish.

Source: Sun-Sentinal-May 1998-Bill Jamison-"Born to Grill" pub.1998

Well, the banana glaze turned out to be nice and tasty, but I just can't seem to enjoy pork these days. DH thought everything was pretty good.

Back