Billows...this should be interesting

I will wait and see!
Bellows might have been a better name though?
So, this needs to interface with some other piece of thermo works equipment?
Billows connotes extreme quantities of smoke.
English teacher parents and an appreciation for quantified expression.
$60.00 for a “bellows monitor” beats $200.00. No?
I may be too tired to quite see it as being anything impressive.
It’s been a long and stressfully day!
Nightcap required!

Last edited:
I will wait and see!
Bellows might have been a better name though?
So, this needs to interface with some other piece of thermo works equipment?
Billows connotes extreme quantities of smoke.
English teacher parents and an appreciation for quantified expression.
$60.00 for a “bellows monitor” beats $200.00. No?
I may be too tired to quite see it as being anything impressive.
It’s been a long and stressfully day!
Nightcap required!

Yes, Billows requires a Signals head unit for it's command & control.

Chris, I'm interested to hear how you like it.

T-Roy of T-Roy Cooks YouTube channel, has had ATC's on both a WSM and a Yoder Wichita offset. But he took them off, he said the blowers would stir up ash that landed on his foods.

I can't verify that, I've never used an ATC.

I've also heard of the same issue with the convection fan inside pellet poopers. I can't verify that either and both issues could be due to user error.

T-Roy of T-Roy Cooks YouTube channel, has had ATC's on both a WSM and a Yoder Wichita offset. But he took them off, he said the blowers would stir up ash that landed on his foods.

I've also heard of the same issue with the convection fan inside pellet poopers. I can't verify that either and both issues could be due to user error.

I'd bet on a fan that pushes too many CFM and that's what's causing the fly ash. Even on my old leaky horizontal offset, I did not have that issue, but I also had less than a 10cfm fan.

Yes it can if not limited while cooking.
Heatermeter has a limit for fan while cooking, thats different from startup.

And you always get some of that anyway . There is fine fine dust that gets on everything inside smoker....examine grate carefully while cooking. Its tasteless and competitions are won with it there, nothing to stress about.

Required airflow is airflow is airflow, whether by natural convection or not

Yes, many competition teams using a WSM also uses a temp control device with fan in order to get some sleep.

YQcEot6.jpg

wCAmOxh.jpg

N3627wQ.jpg

whish they made it compatible with the smoke.

Right with you Jim. I told myself no matter how much I love gadgets I don't think I need a temp controller on a charcoal grill, but for $60 I might have been convinced. Almost $300 is a definite no-go.

I’m seeing another (not, necessarily BETTER) mousetrap, if you need a $200 dollar unit to “Speak” to the fan, it has become something I can clearly do without.
Make it SIMPLE! This is, the more I look at it a serious reach into pockets and, I am saddened by that.

Last edited:
In my area of the world, competition pitmasters spend on the average of $750 to $1000 PER CONTEST for each and every contest they compete at in an attempt to win back some of that money. A ONE TIME outlay of a mere $200 or $300 is a drop in bucket. (Note : in that first picture, it wouldn't surprise me that you're looking at $800 of ATC equipment !) These pitmasters use any available means to produce the BEST BBQ in the world.

I'm saddened to see attempts to put down those that do use viable processes, methods, and equipment simply because a lack of understanding of what is at stake.

I have a close friend who is the head pitmaster of Pro BBQ team. While he has won multiple Grand Championshipos, at one KCBS competition 3 years ago, he won the Grand Champion title AND a $50,000 CAR !!!!

The mousetrap doesn’t necessarily have to be better, it just has to appeal to a particular market. If someone were already planning on purchasing (or had already purchased) the Signals head unit, then this would be a great (and economical) way to have a temp control unit for their grill or smoker. If it’s not for you, fine; you’re obviously not the market they were after. But for someone that’s about to purchase a digital thermometer, for around $70+/- that would make a pretty temping package deal.
Just my thoughts,
Tim

Definitely a cool idea but at $200+ not in my budget as the needs are just not there for me. Just did a low and high Costco prime brisket. Total time 6 1/2 hours no need for an ATC, came out melt in your mouth perfect. Me and my trusty Maverick made it happen.
Very interested in what Chris thinks of it.

Last edited:
No argument that a simple remote read thermometer helps immensely, you will always have an idea of just what your food is doing. Quite a few years ago, well before I started down the road of madness that is smoking food, I'd already started cooking proteins to temperature rather than depending on time. I had 2 devices (from Polder) for both temperature and timing, and I've just acquired more and more.

An ATC allows you to dial in your cooking environment and maintain it. Even with the smoker I have now that will hold temps nicely with nothing other than a controlled air input to the firebox, an ATC gives me a huge amount of control that I just would not have otherwise. Anything that I can make repeatable in my process removes uncertainty, and lets me focus on what does change, i.e. the food. I also understand that not everyone wants, desires, or needs this level of control.

I don't see that Billows was ever intended as a standalone product, it only works connected to a Signals head. If you have or want the functionality of a Signals device, the Billows might be a worthwhile option. If all you want is a fan, there are better ways to achieve that.

Back