Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billows...this should be interesting

Yes, many competition teams using a WSM also uses a temp control device with fan in order to get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    I will wait and see!
    Bellows might have been a better name though?
    Billows connotes extreme quantities of smoke.
    Nightcap required!
    Likely a trademark issue. Either somebody already owns it or it's too generic. (Ex-ad agency owner -- been down that road a lot.)

Jeff
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but either way the cat's not gonna like it much.

TVWBB Fan
    whish they made it compatible with the smoke.
    Last edited by JimZ; 07-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    :26"blackkettle::22" blackkettle:wsm18::

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZ View Post
    whish they made it compatible with the smoke.
    Right with you Jim. I told myself no matter how much I love gadgets I don't think I need a temp controller on a charcoal grill, but for $60 I might have been convinced. Almost $300 is a definite no-go.

Too many wires ( I'd probably trip over them with a plate of food)

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I’m seeing another (not, necessarily BETTER) mousetrap, if you need a $200 dollar unit to “Speak” to the fan, it has become something I can clearly do without.
    Make it SIMPLE! This is, the more I look at it a serious reach into pockets and, I am saddened by that.
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 07-12-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Bad case of “shaming”
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

In my area of the world, competition pitmasters spend on the average of $750 to $1000 PER CONTEST for each and every contest they compete at in an attempt to win back some of that money. A ONE TIME outlay of a mere $200 or $300 is a drop in bucket. (Note : in that first picture, it wouldn't surprise me that you're looking at $800 of ATC equipment !) These pitmasters use any available means to produce the BEST BBQ in the world.

I'm saddened to see attempts to put down those that do use viable processes, methods, and equipment simply because a lack of understanding of what is at stake.

I have a close friend who is the head pitmaster of Pro BBQ team. While he has won multiple Grand Championshipos, at one KCBS competition 3 years ago, he won the Grand Champion title AND a $50,000 CAR !!!!
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

TVWBB Pro
    The mousetrap doesn’t necessarily have to be better, it just has to appeal to a particular market. If someone were already planning on purchasing (or had already purchased) the Signals head unit, then this would be a great (and economical) way to have a temp control unit for their grill or smoker. If it’s not for you, fine; you’re obviously not the market they were after. But for someone that’s about to purchase a digital thermometer, for around $70+/- that would make a pretty temping package deal.
    Just my thoughts,
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Definitely a cool idea but at $200+ not in my budget as the needs are just not there for me. Just did a low and high Costco prime brisket. Total time 6 1/2 hours no need for an ATC, came out melt in your mouth perfect. Me and my trusty Maverick made it happen.
    Very interested in what Chris thinks of it.
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 07-13-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Pro
    No argument that a simple remote read thermometer helps immensely, you will always have an idea of just what your food is doing. Quite a few years ago, well before I started down the road of madness that is smoking food, I'd already started cooking proteins to temperature rather than depending on time. I had 2 devices (from Polder) for both temperature and timing, and I've just acquired more and more.

An ATC allows you to dial in your cooking environment and maintain it. Even with the smoker I have now that will hold temps nicely with nothing other than a controlled air input to the firebox, an ATC gives me a huge amount of control that I just would not have otherwise. Anything that I can make repeatable in my process removes uncertainty, and lets me focus on what does change, i.e. the food. I also understand that not everyone wants, desires, or needs this level of control.

I don't see that Billows was ever intended as a standalone product, it only works connected to a Signals head. If you have or want the functionality of a Signals device, the Billows might be a worthwhile option. If all you want is a fan, there are better ways to achieve that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12