Not loading network info

Steve IL

Friend of mine bought a pre assembled heatermeter. Yesterday i took his SD card loaded the heatermeter img with his network info on there and when we plug in the heatermeter we do not get any attempt of logging on his network. it goes straight to pitprobe temp and thats it. I tried reloading the SD card numerous times but it won't work. I even took it back to my house and loaded my network info on the card to see if it was something with his network but I almost feel like the pi is not flashing off the card. What are somethings for me to try here? Thanks guys

Just some clarification needed. You took his microSD card and put it into your Pi's microSD slot, or did you put it in a USB port on your Pi and leave your microSD inserted? Also, do you both have the same model of Pi?

For troubleshooting, a key indicator is the LEDs on the Pi. The power LED should be on, and the activity LED should blink really fast seemingly randomly as the kernel is loaded, then blink quickly, then blink slowly, then become steady (on or off) to indicate the boot process is complete. A few seconds after that it should be on the wifi if it is going to connect. If it doesn't blink like that, or rather immediately blinks in a repeatable way with a certain number of flashes, then it's not booting at all. Unfortunately there's not any way to troubleshoot the network connection without getting into the device with a monitor and keyboard usually, because there's no real error when wifi can't connect-- it just never gets on the network as far as we can tell.

Just some clarification needed. You took his microSD card and put it into your Pi's microSD slot, or did you put it in a USB port on your Pi and leave your microSD inserted? Also, do you both have the same model of Pi?

For troubleshooting, a key indicator is the LEDs on the Pi. The power LED should be on, and the activity LED should blink really fast seemingly randomly as the kernel is loaded, then blink quickly, then blink slowly, then become steady (on or off) to indicate the boot process is complete. A few seconds after that it should be on the wifi if it is going to connect. If it doesn't blink like that, or rather immediately blinks in a repeatable way with a certain number of flashes, then it's not booting at all. Unfortunately there's not any way to troubleshoot the network connection without getting into the device with a monitor and keyboard usually, because there's no real error when wifi can't connect-- it just never gets on the network as far as we can tell.

I'm loading the img off my laptop to the sd card putting it in his PI SD slot. I do not believe the led lights are blinking as you describe but will double check. Yes We have the pi 3+.

What reasons would there be that it is not flashing off the SD card? Another reason I believe it is not reflashing, originally the thermocouple worked I reset config and no it reads 4 degrees when nothing is inserted. I would have figured reflashing would get it back to working but its stuck on reading 4 degrees when probe is not inserted.

When you do a reset config it resets everything to default, which is 4x Thermoworks thermistor probes. You need to go into the webui and change the pit probe back to Thermocouple so it knows how to interpret the value coming from the thermocouple amplifier properly again.

It never flashes anything to the Pi off the SD card, the Pi runs from the SD card. It can't run without it and you need to be sure you're on the Snapshot version and the one for the Pi 3B+. The download would be labeled heatermeter-bcm2709-snapshot-XXX of you downloaded a preconfigured version or openwrt-rpi3.zip if you grabbed the stock version (although that one doesn't indicate if it is a release or snapshot so I'd recommend grabbing it again to be sure).

i loaded the pi 3b+ verison again and still nothing(details of img download below). i noticed the led lights do not blink at all, like how described in the earlier post. I've also tried formatting the SD card before loading the img. Thanks for the quick reply after the messageboard blackout!

latest snapshot
targetboard 3b+
wirelessmode client
wifi name
password
wirelessband auto

i loaded the pi 3b+ verison again and still nothing(details of img download below). i noticed the led lights do not blink at all, like how described in the earlier post. I've also tried formatting the SD card before loading the img. Thanks for the quick reply after the messageboard blackout!

latest snapshot
targetboard 3b+
wirelessmode client
wifi name
password
wirelessband auto

Hey it loaded! we're all good thanks! just gotta reload it with my friends wifi

Back