True Grits with Cheese

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
JOHN WAYNE- This is for my DH (aka, The Cheese Lover)

True Grits with Cheese

8 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups stone-ground yellow grits
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TB. butter
pepper

In a pot, bring 8 cups of water and salt to a boil. Add grits slowly, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Keep the grits boiling until water reduces.

Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese, butter and pepper until well blended. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with a little extra butter for a little extra flavor.

Source: "The Official John Wayne Way to Grill" 2015

Joan, I couldn't resist:

1735215.gif

Come to think of it, I have re-grits every time we have leftover grits. We keep them in a quart plastic soup container, then a few days later, they get sliced and fried up for another breakfast. Re-grits lol!!(hope I don't regret posting this-lol)

I have no re-grits.... that, right there, might be another problem.

I just love good grits that have been chilled, sliced, sauteed to caramelize, and served with your favorite barbecue sauce, alongside your favorite smoked meaty goodness. That recipe looks like it might almost have enough cheese in it.

I have no re-grits.... that, right there, might be another problem.

I just love good grits that have been chilled, sliced, sauteed to caramelize, and served with your favorite barbecue sauce, alongside your favorite smoked meaty goodness. That recipe looks like it might almost have enough cheese in it.
Hmmm, never thought of putting anything other than butter on them, will have to give it a try, thanks.

Timothy, DH made these for breakfast yesterday. I can't believe I am about to say this, he didn't put in enough cheese (so he thought). When he put the leftovers in the container, he found that a lot of the cheese had sunk to the bottom and didn't get stirred up enough.:eek:. No, they didn't make it to the leftover container, yes, he scraped the bottom of the pan and ate them. But, they were still good though.

Just a reminder, you do remember who's BIRTHDAY is coming up in May? Are you getting ready?

Sounds good Joan. Add some shrimp and andouille sausage to this and it's a Low Country meal.
Also, I like the way ya'll do the leftover grits. We typically call those grit-cakes. I have seen one restaurant coat and deep fry their grit cakes (I think they chilled them in the fridge to slice and then froze them so they could handle the breading).
It may be grits & eggs tonight for dinner...

Thanks R, never thought to have them for dinner. Might be a good sub. for potatoes some night. Hmmmm, while typing, sitting here thinking about those grit-cakes fried up in bacon grease.

Timothy, DH made these for breakfast yesterday. I can't believe I am about to say this, he didn't put in enough cheese (so he thought). When he put the leftovers in the container, he found that a lot of the cheese had sunk to the bottom and didn't get stirred up enough.:eek:. No, they didn't make it to the leftover container, yes, he scraped the bottom of the pan and ate them. But, they were still good though.

Just a reminder, you do remember who's BIRTHDAY is coming up in May? Are you getting ready?
Tried again. This time they were good and CHEESY!!!!!

To the person who took me seriously and whose comment has disappeared (and I know who you are), lighten up.

BTW, I remember the meat shortage in the early 70's (I think it was back then) in the NY area. Guess what was selling instead of beef? In fact, there was an All In the Family episode about it around that time.

I’m thinking about making the cheese grits this afternoon and baking them in a sheet pan then, chill and slice into batons (fingers sounded weird) then toasting them up a little on the grill and drizzling with a tiny touch or bourbon and maple syrup.
Any opinion, Joan?

No, go for it. Where did you say you lived again? lol
Kalamazoo, MI.! Long drive for some grits but, if you’re close, I’ve got some really talented chefs coming should be an amazing bucket of food. Just spent an hour shooing a robin out of my garage, I was afraid I’d really hurt the poor thing but finally got her out and she flew away so, I don’t think she was hurt. No sign of a nest so, I’m not worried too much.

Tim, I am soo sad. You, Rich and I are the only ones to celebrate John Wayne's birthday. I thought he was more loved than that. :cry:

To the person who took me seriously and whose comment has disappeared (and I know who you are), lighten up.

BTW, I remember the meat shortage in the early 70's (I think it was back then) in the NY area. Guess what was selling instead of beef? In fact, there was an All In the Family episode about it around that time.
1. It wasn't me, it was DH. Sorry, he is a big John Wayne fan.
2. Just what does any of that have to do with John Wayne or his birthday or grits?

Back