Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Forum Down

TVWBB Pro
    Chris, I'd be somewhat surprised if vBulletin couldn't handle the images at the scale of this site, I'd be questioning if you want to handle the storage & bandwidth requirements.

Your comments on IP/copyright are spot-on, though. It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you require users to acknowledge, having to deal with lawyers (Shakespeare got it right...) is a complete PITA. There are enough hosting sites available that I generally would be careful about opening that can of worms.

TVWBB Pro
    One other thing about image hosting sites..... read the terms of service VERY carefully. When I first looked at sites years ago, they all assumed ownership of all images hosted. I don't know if they still do. Why is this important? I'd be giving my images over for someone else's free use & money making capability. I've already been screwed by being rather trusting, there's a t-shirt company out in Salt Lake City who swiped an image for thousands of t-shirts (not online, that's a tale for a tasty beverage.) I didn't find out until a couple of years had passed.

IT does not matter where the image is "hosted" if it shows up on a site that site owns it or at least has rights to it. JK I am sorry but your reasoning sounds like the tinfoil hat crowd. Just because the actual image is not hosted "here" it still shows up in facsimile or link. So TVWBB still has responsibility for it. So if someone put a link or photo up here depicting something illegal Chris is still responsible. It's like Pontius Pilate claiming he washed his hands of the Crucifixion.
    You can make the bandwidth argument but again that may be an issue of the hosting company as I saw no such issues with my GoDaddy hosted site

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    IT does not matter where the image is "hosted" if it shows up on a site that site owns it or at least has rights to it.
    In its Terms of Service, a site can claim the right to use whatever you post for whatever purpose it wants, but I don't know if that would actually stand up in court if challenged.

The way that a site avoids liability for someone posting an image subject to copyright violation is to register in advance under the DMCA and have a published takedown reporting policy. Then your only obligation is to take down the image in question. This is the protection that Google, Imgur, and others avail themselves of so they're not constantly sued when people upload copyrighted images, photos, etc. to their services. After my last run-in with a lawyer about a copyright issue, I availed myself of DMCA registration in an attempt to protect myself from the things you numbskulls link into your posts.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    FYI, TVWB (the WSM website) and TVWBB (the discussion forum) run on different hosting services at different companies, so if one goes down, the other doesn't. If you can't access both of them, it's something on your end.
    I have no doubt about that whatsoever. In fact, I am CERTAIN it was my iPhone.
    Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

TVWBB Fan
    I’m just very thankful to have access to such a great forum. I’ve learned tons from this place.

Thanks!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112