One way to get the plastic end caps out Silver

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
So after my disaster with the paint on the Silver C plastic end caps had another set from a B. After reading all the horror shows of people breaking them when they tried to get them out and I had one that would not budge and I needed it. So I had soaked them down for days one would not budge and yes I pushed the clips had someone hold those in with a screwdriver. So I had some 1/2 copper long enough to insert in one end to small diameter I know but my goal was to get them out maybe 1/4 inch soak again with PB Blaster which I did last night.

I knew I needed something thicker so I went to home depot today and bought a 4' one inch diameter round dowel for 4 bucks. Its not a true one inch so fit inside had brought the extension frame piece for the left side to make sure it fit. I inserted it in the frame started tapping with a piece of small 2 by and went easy with the hammer, slowly it started coming out but one side fought me to the bitter end. I just kept moving from side to side and finally success, maybe someone posted this before but no damage that I can see.

hZYurHI.jpg

hJnyk7u.jpg

MmsbOCX.jpg

ADJb59p.jpg

I am actually making a table out of this frame so I can put trays of ribs or whatever when I cook on my UDS recycling some stuff will show everybody a picture when its done.

Brian, “I love it when a plan comes together” 😄 Excellent idea! I too would like to make a cart from an old frame so will be watching your progress with interest.

Richard will post the picture of the cart when done trying to preserve the frame in case I need it down the road so not cutting it the left piece gone obviously. All recyclable stuff from some old parts on a cooler that was stainless.

Yes Stefan either one would work, I did not have a broomstick lying around and the dowel is almost a perfect fit and can take the hammer better. I only tapped it with the copper a bit was afraid it would damage the end but since you used a steel pipe maybe no worries. Pretty worried about getting that out in one piece as I really would have been screwed if it broke.

Pounding them out from the back is what I figured out as the best way to get them out without damaging them. Strange how plastic can get stuck so bad with a little rust.

Back