Tepache

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Every summer I make a couple batches of Tepache. Tepache is a fermented pineapple beverage. This is done as a quick ferment so it doesn't produce a bunch of alcohol. Kind of like making homemade root beer.

Here's the base recipe:

1 ripe pineapple
1 cup piloncillo or dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick*
3-4 whole cloves*
2 quarts filtered water (our tap water has super low chemical content so I just use that)

* The spices are optional, I always use them. You can also experiment by adding 2-3 star anise, or 5-10 whole peppercorns.

In the photos Below I did a double batch. Instead of 4 quarts of water I used 8 quarts. All the other items were doubled. Wife didn't want it as sweet, and I needed quite a bit for our camp trip.

Rinse you pineapple. You want the rind and the core. The meat of the pineapple can be used but is not required. My wife loves pineapple so she had a pile to eat.

Cut the rind and core into pieces. Since I was using a carboy I had to cut them into approx. 1/2" pieces so I could get them out when done.

Put everything into a non-reactive container. If you can use an airlock, but if not cover the opening with cheese cloth.

Set fermenter somewhere that maintains 70°-80°. As luck would have it a cold snap hit, so I had to use an electric blanket to move things along.

Let the mixture ferment for 24-72 hours. For this batch I did 48 hours. The airlock was burping about once a minute. So it was sufficiently carbonated.

When the ferment is complete you need to strain the mixture. I use a really fine colander. Cheese cloth will also work.

Once strained place into mason jars and hand tighten the lids. Refrigerate to slow the fermentation. Can be kept in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Tepache can be drank by itself (very refreshing). Or you can mix it with Mexican lagers, vodka, tequila, etc. We have a friend that mixes it with ice tea.

48171924667_93f01e620e_z.jpg

48171842701_b47ba7da1d_z.jpg

Since we were going on a 6 day camp trip I put the bulk of the Tepache into our Drinktanks. There was on jar that I took to a friend. Ended up with 192 ounces in the tanks!

48171837171_0c1ece1704_z.jpg

48171918117_e78fdbf5be_z.jpg

Here's a couple shots of our camp refrigerator:

48231387027_33c1e83dbb_z.jpg

48231369377_9fdfc87888_z.jpg

Camp:

48231312626_ba9b0be315_z.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds really good Case. Might give that a try, both of use like pineapple.
Really like your camping refrigerator

Like Rich said, we will be giving this a try. I remember using that kind of refrigerator when we went fishing. Nice and cold.

Your Tepache reminds me of my first attempt at making Raisin Jack early on in High School. Due to my age, I did it on the sly and hid it under my Dad's work bench in the garage. Got busted after a few days when my Dad smelled it, and probably the neighbors too, and made me give it the heave ho. Made another run at it a few days later, this time hiding it behind the backyard fence in some bushes. I was using an old antique glass battery jar for my mix and a couple days later went out to check and someone had found my "lab", dumped my mix and stole the battery jar. That ended my brewing career and a couple of years later I discovered Olympia beer and never looked back. Seriously Case, I'm sure your Tepache was delicious and a refreshing drink for you and your camp guests. Looks and sounds great!

Looks good and I think I may have to try this. I have a few questions, if you don't mind. No yeast necessary? Have you let it ferment for longer periods (weeks) and how much does that change the flavor (I assume it loses some of the sweetness)? And lastly, unrelated to your tepache; glass carboy with airlock...is that strictly for the tepache or do you also home brew beer or wine?

I too love the fridge.

Your Tepache reminds me of my first attempt at making Raisin Jack early on in High School. Due to my age, I did it on the sly and hid it under my Dad's work bench in the garage. Got busted after a few days when my Dad smelled it, and probably the neighbors too, and made me give it the heave ho. Made another run at it a few days later, this time hiding it behind the backyard fence in some bushes. I was using an old antique glass battery jar for my mix and a couple days later went out to check and someone had found my "lab", dumped my mix and stole the battery jar. That ended my brewing career and a couple of years later I discovered Olympia beer and never looked back. Seriously Case, I'm sure your Tepache was delicious and a refreshing drink for you and your camp guests. Looks and sounds great!

That's a great story Cliff!

My dad drank Shlitz and Oly! We still buy Oly every now and then!

Looks good and I think I may have to try this. I have a few questions, if you don't mind. No yeast necessary? Have you let it ferment for longer periods (weeks) and how much does that change the flavor (I assume it loses some of the sweetness)? And lastly, unrelated to your tepache; glass carboy with airlock...is that strictly for the tepache or do you also home brew beer or wine?

I too love the fridge.

No yeast required. Fermentation takes place with due to the natural yeasts. With any fresh fruit you can get this too work.

No I haven't let Tepache go longer on the ferment. I suppose you could, but then you'd be making either a cider or a wine, depending on the how long and if you back sugared at the end. Like with cider and wine I'm sure it would become drier.

I used to brew lots of beer back in the 90's and have made cider more recently. I used the carboy as I had it. You could use anything non-reactive. Same for the air lock I have it so I used it. I also ferment vegetables so the airlocks get used frequently.

My favorite fridge it the creek I'm camped next too!

That's a great story Cliff!

My dad drank Shlitz and Oly! We still buy Oly every now and then!

I drank Oly for years, and used to get a ration of crap from all the Bud and Coors drinkers I used to work with. I finally switched to Bud when I could no longer find it in California. Haven't seen it in years although I'd heard it was still available in the Washington area. Shlitz brings back memories, well only one really, too. I was in the Army when I was 19. I was stationed in Ft. Gordon, GA and one night me and a couple of buddies went across state line into a little bar in South Carolina, where the legal drinking age was 18. I got my first legal beer in a bar. It was a Schlitz and they gave me the little Schlitz stein it came in and I still have it to this day. Anyway, I've been reading up on Tepache.

Back