Genesis 1000 restoration help

AndrewTrig

I am in the process of restoring an old redhead 1000 and have come to a point where I think it would make the most sense to find another grill to part out, mainly due to the fact that I would like to convert from NG to LP and I’m not 100% clear or comfortable with the “conversion” process of changing orifices, valves etc I think I would rather just find a LP manifold assembly. If possible I’d like to expand my search for other models that could have the same parts so my question is are there other models that have the same parts as the 1000s? More specifically the manifold assembly but also including the frame (I’d like to have the tank holder but definitely not necessary)

Any "thousand" will have the right manifold, but the 2000 and 3000 have a longer frame. The 2000 has a shelf to the right of the burner controls, the 3000 has a side burner there. The manifolds for all of the thousands are interchangeable. That is the best (and maybe the only) way to go from NG to LP, because LP has smaller, not larger orifices and holes inside the valves.

Andrew, I have a couple of LP manifolds that I could sell. What is the condition of your NG manifold? Another option might be to do a trade. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Andrew, I have a couple of LP manifolds that I could sell. What is the condition of your NG manifold? Another option might be to do a trade. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Bill,
That’s a great offer! The family atmosphere on this site never ceases to amaze me.

I’m not 100% clear or comfortable with the “conversion” process of changing orifices, valves etc

If you can change the manifold comfortably, then there is ZERO
reason to fear changing the orifices and only takes about an extra
5 minutes. 10 minutes if you are REALLY slow. I need to make a
video on this. Or better yet, make my own and sell them.

Dave, I think the LP and NG valves are different, so even making a smaller orifice for LP might be a little risky, since you want smaller holes for LP. I could be wrong.

Bruce, the problem is, as far as I've seen, the valves can be either "Low, Medium, High" or "Continuously Variable". All of this information is gleaned from LMichaels. The Low Medium High style valves are either for propane or natural gas. The propane ones have smaller holes. Propane valves also have smaller orifices, as propane as a gas has more power per unit volume than natural gas. If you have "Low, Medium, High" valves, you can convert from propane to natural gas by drilling, but not from natural gas to propane. You can't reduce the size of the holes. Now, apparently, if you have Continuously Variable valves, you can switch back and forth with a simple orifice swap.

All this being said, my opinion is that the safest most certain way to change from NG to LP, or LP to NG is to just change the manifold. Even if you have to buy the manifold, it's still a heck of a lot less expensive than the possible damage you can inflict upon yourself with an unsafe grill.

Yep the safest and best is to change whole manifold. Again though here is my experience from experimenting. If you have an original NG manifold and swap in LP orifices there is nothing inherently "dangerous" it is simply "inconvenient" as your low/med settings will run "Hotter" than you might like but you can always control it by shutting burner(s) off. If however you have an LP manifold and install NG orifices you CAN have a dangerous situation. (full disclosure I am doing just that right now on my Genesis 2000). Why "dangerous"? Because the LP valves have tighter openings in the spool on low/med you can have a flame out when trying to run on "low". If you are cooking and thinking a burner is on "low" and it flames out gas does not stop flowing it just does not flow enough to support combustion. So it will build up and get to a point you will have a possible explosion. Now, since I am the ONLY person who uses the Genesis, and I know what I did I simply avoid putting the valve(s) on low setting for that reason. Before pointing a finger at me for it though understand I have a legit reason why I am doing it. Reason(s) too lengthy to go into here.
But yes the only TRULY safe way to change from LP to NG is with a complete manifold switch or to modify the valve spools accordingly. No "safety" issues going the other way simply "convenience" issues

Thanks everyone for all the great info and help here.

I’m not in a major rush to get this done so I think I may just work on the refurb for now and hold off on the rest until I can find a grill with the right parts.

I did find a genesis silver (not sure which one) that looks pretty much the same as mine. Do these have the same manifold?

Andrew,
Patience is a good thing and not always easy to master:eek:. So, I agree that you don’t need to rush. For finding a manifold you do need to confine your search to other x000 grills. The firebox and manifold on the newer silver/gold/platinum grills are different.

Since I am new to this and since a lot of them look the same, is there a way to tell x000 models apart from newer ones without having to ask seller for serial/model number? Are the wood slats a good indicator?

Thanks everyone for all the great info and help here.

I’m not in a major rush to get this done so I think I may just work on the refurb for now and hold off on the rest until I can find a grill with the right parts.

I did find a genesis silver (not sure which one) that looks pretty much the same as mine. Do these have the same manifold?

Andrew, Bill has an LP manifold and see if he has the tank scale bracket also you are going to want that. I was in the same boat years ago changing the manifold IMO is the way to go and it was Jon who helped me out with the manifold and tank scale bracket, both my grills have the new style scale which I prefer. But nothing wrong with the old one but if you get the bracket the new type scale is a bolt on.

Since I am new to this and since a lot of them look the same, is there a way to tell x000 models apart from newer ones without having to ask seller for serial/model number? Are the wood slats a good indicator?

The x000 models have the deep firebox with two rows of flavorizer bars (13 total). The newer silver, etc have one row of bars (5 total).

Also, the 1000's will have either the wood slats or Durawood slats for the tables. The newer ones (Silver/gold series) will have the solid thermoset tables.

I
Andrew, Bill has an LP manifold and see if he has the tank scale bracket also you are going to want that.

Yup, I have a couple of tank scales. I picked up my most recent 1xxx grill for free on FreeCycle. You can find another in your area at some point but they are starting to be less common due to their age. You can also buy a new manifold for around $100 on a couple of sites. I’m interested in NG manifolds and would be willing to do a trade.

Back