Fifty Six Years Later a Chicago Dog

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
When I was growing up in the ‘burbs of Chicago there were a couple of little hot dog stands within bike riding distance from my home.
Me and my buddies on some Saturdays would ride down to one and get a Chicago dog for lunch.
Really loved them, the place we went to used Vienna dogs which had a great casing that had a good snap to it.
When I was 15 after my Mother passed away my Dad got a great job opportunity in California. He wanted out of the cold winters so he accepted it and off we went.
Yesterday I was looking through Weber’s Greatest Hits for something to make for dinner. I found a recipe for Chicago style hot dogs, it looked just like I remembered them and with Jamie Purviance being out of Chicago it was probably pretty close.
I had all I needed except the sport peppers and the impossible to find here poppy seed buns. A quick run to the Safeway and I could not believe my luck they had sport peppers, that and a bottle of poppy seeds I could make my own poppy seed buns. I also picked up a package of Ball Park Angus all beef dogs.
Melted some butter and brushed the buns down and sprinkled poppy seed on them put them in the E320 on indirect at 350 for ten minutes and I now had poppy seed buns.
IIRC the dogs of my youth were steamed and not grilled, that was the only exception I made as the recipe called for them to be grilled lightly and that’s what I did.
It was 56 years ago when I had my last Chicago dog and it was as I remember them. It was Barbs first one and I was told it would not be her last one. How could I argue with that.

48233200152_3378ee1fb8_z.jpg
[/url]100_5042 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

The two small dogs are for the pups if we have hot dogs they insist on having some too
48233125001_9eec9a48cf_z.jpg
[/url]100_5043 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48233124326_1331e865d6_z.jpg
[/url]100_5046 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48233198462_07f3765bd1_z.jpg
[/url]100_5047 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48233123216_69460c1117_z.jpg
[/url]100_5052 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48233122471_c11452a60a_z.jpg
[/url]100_5057 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
Have a great week.

Last edited:
I've always been intrigued by the Chicago dog. There are a few places around that offer them. I'll have to try one based on your cook. Looks good!

Rich, those look awesome. I have the book and there it is on page 67, leading the way for the "Beef & Lamb" chapter. They're on my cook list as of now!

Looks delicious. To me, a real one (like Demon Dogs under the Fullerton "L") include neon green relish and celery salt.

Looks like you could put Gene and Judes out of business Rich! Mustard, onion and celery salt works for me. Lets see now, 3 days on the road for a couple ofRich's dogs
sounds fair!

Yessir, Vienna’s are the one outside the Field Museum, Soldier Field, Shedd aquarium and, at Wrigley field last time I was there! There is nothing about a Chicago dog that I don’t love. A couple of places here in Kalamazoo try but, wrong dog, bun, and even subbing jalapeño for sport peppers! Blasphemy, Sez I!!!

we went to Chicago for a long weekend last fall to see the museums, and when we left the Shedd aquarium walking to the Field museum we got hot dogs, my friend ordered hers plain but I got a regular Chicago dog and it was awesome

It's funny the things you take for granted when you live in a certain area. For me, it's always the amazement I have when I visit my brother in Houston, the amount of low priced, excellent quality brisket that's just available at a grocery store.

I definitely take it for granted that is just how hot dogs are here.

You, sir, nailed that Chicago dog and it was awesome how still after all those years, you have that memory of a certain food from a certain place. Great post! What it's all about.

Back