Picked up a 19 year old Silver B today

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I need a degreaser that won’t damage other parts of the grill.
I need a product that will undo seizures of hardware.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff: I use Members Mark grill and oven cleaner. Best cleaner I have found for getting the gunk out of the firebox. I don't really know of any part of the Silver B that it would harm simply by using it to clean the cook box area.

What hardware is "siezed"? PB Blaster, WD40, Liquid Wrench are some of the more popular penatrating oils for freeing rusted and frozen nuts and bolts. But, some nuts and bolts on your grill might just not come unstuck no matter what. Applying heat will also aid in freeing rusted and seized hardware.

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. It was 93’ here yesterday and I didn’t get much done except for picking the grill up, bringing it home and a quick cleaning. I just wanted to know in advance what to buy if some of the hardware is seized up. This is the grill I’ll be converting from NG to LP.
Thanks again.

Jeff: I use Members Mark grill and oven cleaner. Best cleaner I have found for getting the gunk out of the firebox. I don't really know of any part of the Silver B that it would harm simply by using it to clean the cook box area.

I was looking at the website for Members Mark and it says that to not use it on aluminum. Thoughts?
https://www.samsclub.com/p/oven-fryer-grill-cln-3-x-32-ounce/prod9260461

I don't care about the inside of my firebox but I do want to prep the outsides for painting. How many times would you degrease your exterior (end caps and firebox)? I realize that it depends on what is there but how do you know if you're done degreasing?

The warning is there because it should not be used on "finished" aluminum. It will be fine for the grill

Yah, it will turn bare aluminum a dull gray color, but will not otherwise damage anything on the cook box or other parts of the grill. I use it on all the fire boxes that I rehab and I repaint them all.

Back