Strawberry Shrimp

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Richard Perry-St. Louis http://www.losttables.com/perry/perry.htm

I'm not sure why, but I really became intrigued with this recipe. Then after reading this article about him and his restaurant, I became more intrigued. This appetizer is the only recipe that never got deleted from his menus. It was such a favorite with his clientele. According to his menu, he charged $6.50 for it back in the 80's. Sad to say, he died almost 2 years ago.

Strawberry Shrimp
serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer

Batter:
2 1/4 cups flat beer
1 TB. salt
1 1/2 TB. baking powder
1 TB. sugar
1 3/4 cups high-gluten bread flour
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves(preferably homemade)
1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. horseradish

The Shrimp:
2 lbs. large shrimp
flour
oil for deep frying

Combine all the batter ingredients, beating with a whisk until smooth, and refrigerate overnight, tightly covered with plastic wrap.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a pan, and heat slowly until the mixture comes to a simmer. Reserve off heat, or refrigerate.

Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Devein, split and flatten. Dip the shrimp in flour, then in the batter, and fry them at 350 degrees until golden brown. Put 1/4 cup sauce on each plate and top with sauce. Garnish with sliced strawberries and watercress.

Note: The sauce can be prepared up to four days in advance and refrigerated, and the batter must be done the night before.

Source: Cooking with the New American Chefs - Ellen Brown- pub. 1985

Looks interesting. I do have an aversion to horseradish so I would make the sauce without it. Thanks for sharing it.

Don't use anything you don't like to eat/drink. Each beer has a speciific profile (especially between light and dark beer). I love both but the shrimp has such a delicate flavour, I would use light (not in calories but in colour). A lager would be good IMO.

Don't use anything you don't like to eat/drink. Each beer has a specific profile (especially between light and dark beer). I love both but the shrimp has such a delicate flavour, I would use light (not in calories but in colour). A lager would be good IMO.

Great, thanks.

I went with Kona Island lager for the beer.

The sauce and batter are done.

Should I make all of the shrimp at once tomorrow, or only make as much as I plan to eat for that day (and use that much corresponding sauce and batter)?

With the Ray's Florida Marinade, I didn't have any issues with making 1 lb. of shrimp all at once, and then eating leftovers for a few days.

But this may be different, since this is fried in a batter.

I went with Kona Island lager for the beer.

The sauce and batter are done.

Should I make all of the shrimp at once tomorrow, or only make as much as I plan to eat for that day (and use that much corresponding sauce and batter)?

With the Ray's Florida Marinade, I didn't have any issues with making 1 lb. of shrimp all at once, and then eating leftovers for a few days.
But this may be different, since this is fried in a batter.

I personally would only want to make what I would eat in one sitting. I like my fried food nice and fresh and hot.

I used Kona Longboard as the beer.

Pic:

https://i.imgur.com/LyHsV0c.jpg

I liked the fried component of the shrimp. It was my first time making fried shrimp. The batter and texture came out well.

However, the sauce doesn't taste much like strawberries. It has the texture of strawberries. But it tastes more savory and spicy.

Is it possible to reduce or eliminate the soy sauce, ketchup, and red wine vinegar? I think those were the elements which were giving it more of that spicy flavor.

I thought it was going to taste sweet.

How would you suggest I try changing things for next time?

All recipes are merely stepping off points, in my mind at least, if it was too tart, reduce acid too salty, reduce that. Strongly suggest you watch “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” (Netflix) make notes about the REASONS things are done and start to apply the theory and learn what you like from there.
I have a buddy that used to go into places and asks for the hottest wings they can do! Then proceeded to ***** about them not being hot enough, now since habeñero has become so much more readily available, he’s learned to quit whining!
The point of that is this, as I’ve told you before, is cooking for yourself, family and friends so, make things the way you enjoy them. I think is pretty important to have an understanding of each ingredient so the stored taste “memory” you can draw from as you prepare things will help you understand what is going in the pot so to speak.

All recipes are merely stepping off points, in my mind at least, if it was too tart, reduce acid too salty, reduce that. Strongly suggest you watch “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” (Netflix) make notes about the REASONS things are done and start to apply the theory and learn what you like from there.
I have a buddy that used to go into places and asks for the hottest wings they can do! Then proceeded to ***** about them not being hot enough, now since habeñero has become so much more readily available, he’s learned to quit whining!
The point of that is this, as I’ve told you before, is cooking for yourself, family and friends so, make things the way you enjoy them. I think is pretty important to have an understanding of each ingredient so the stored taste “memory” you can draw from as you prepare things will help you understand what is going in the pot so to speak.

I agree that there is a limit to how enjoyable something hot is. I like spicy foods in general, but don't need to have them all the time.

I tried atomic wings from Wingstop once. While I could eat it, it wasn't enjoyable, so that flavor isn't an option for me anymore.

I recently tried Yancey's Fancy Ghost Pepper cheese. Again, it's a little bit too much.

Yancey's Fancy Jalapeno and Habanero Cheddar cheese is the right combination of cheese flavor and hot peppers, for me.

I also don't like mango habenero too much, I don't like sweet and spicy. If I'm in a group, I'll have a piece, but it's not a flavor I'd order on my own.

I don't have Netflix, but I see this video by Samin Nosrat here. I'll watch it, thanks for the recommendation.

Going back to the strawberry shrimp, I think I would definitely eliminate the ketchup. As for the soy sauce and red wine vinegar, maybe reduce them, but also after watching the video above, it might give me a better understanding of why they are needed, so maybe I don't change them. I just want the strawberry flavor to stand out more.

I was trolling for receipted to cook for my wife, who really does try to eat healthy (until it comes to Mexican food). Has anyone tried this receipt in an air fryer, or a version of it???

Rick, in now wide open, Corona free Georgia

Back