PICNIC 10 lb

Victor

TVWBB Member
Been a long time since I smoked anything on my bullet. Looking for a little advice on the 10 lb pork picnic I just bought, how much should I trim fat, does it cook like butt. I plan on using wild willy rub with a little apple wood for smoke. Plan on starting tomorrow night around midnite finish Monday afternoon. Thanks Victor

Times the same as butts, but the meat is more stringy like a ham roast so
I like to score the skin and baste it and only take it to 180 for slicing.
You want to pull it like a butt, then remove skin for more bark.
Either way it's still good, but not a butt...

Tim

Thanks for the reply ! I trimmed quite a bit of skin/fat, pretty thick fat on this picnic! That way my rub and smoke can get to the meat. Didn't think about basting, what would you baste with? how often

Thanks for the reply ! I trimmed quite a bit of skin/fat, pretty thick fat on this picnic! That way my rub and smoke can get to the meat. Didn't think about basting, what would you baste with? how often

When I do picnics I either do Pernil or the Latin roasted pork shoulder from JOY.
The first I baste with Mojo Crillo, second a combo of Red wine vin, oregano, garlic and lime, orange juice.
For regular BBQ, simple water, beer or stock works, but that's with skin on. ( keeps it soft, and it's quite the snack)
If you remove it, then you don't really need to baste it, unless you want to add on layers of flavor.

Tim

Back