submarinefan Stainless Steel Genesis Grates!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Many here are familiar with rcplanebuyer the eBay username/handle for Dave Santana, maker of top, top grade stainless grates (and other grill parts). My guess is that remote control planes are his hobby and that got him on eBay with that name.

My own hobby - besides grills - is old toys, specifically toy submarines. I loved them when I was kid and always imagined myself as a future Captain Crane from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. My eBay username/handle therefor is submarinefan.

Today, I finally finished my "own" set of Genesis grates. They started as leftover grates from a 3rd generation 6-burner Summit (about the only decent thing I have left to show for two of those fiasco grills:mad:). Conveniently, they are already the right width left to right, just and inch and three quarters too long front to back.

I bought some Harbor Freight "Hercules" cut off wheels rated for stainless to augment my Hercules grinder. A great pair! I was able to cut both grates pretty easily with just one wheel. I am an accountant and not a metal worker, so my cutting wasn't perfect. I did follow up, however, with a drill mounted grinder ball to smooth out the cuts and remove the sharpest edges.

These grates look pretty good, I think. They are certainly very stout.

qiTXOw3.jpg

Thickness of rods very similar to rcplanebuyer. They show just a slight magnetic attraction.

eOe2SL3.jpg

qgAghAC.jpg

The big difference between these and Dave's are that his have more bars and are more tightly spaced. Here's how "mine" measure up:

EiGrlEP.jpg

This is just a teaser post until I can get time to do my all-out stainless comparison. Stay tuned:D!

Last edited:
Jon, I have a set of stainless in my Summit 4 burner. Do you think I can mod them into Genesis grates?

Bruce,
If I remember the one got is a 2nd generation Summit. I wouldn’t be shocked if they wouldn’t go right in. The first generation ones were identical to the Genesis. But if all you need to do is shorten a little, then, yeah I don’t see why you can’t mod them. If this CPA (cut, paste and assemble) can, I am sure it will be easy for you. Get good cut-off wheels and probably don’t stretch it to two grates.

Bruce,
If I remember the one got is a 2nd generation Summit. I wouldn’t be shocked if they wouldn’t go right in. The first generation ones were identical to the Genesis. But if all you need to do is shorten a little, then, yeah I don’t see why you can’t mod them. If this CPA (cut, paste and assemble) can, I am sure it will be easy for you. Get good cut-off wheels and probably don’t stretch it to two grates.

Haha....CPA...good one Jon.;)

Second gen Summit is same size grates as 3rd gen Summit. Only 1st gen had same grate size as Genesis

Back