Brisket point?

I do them all the time. I am searching for the holy grail trying to make burnt ends,and have come close but can't seem to find it.
I do them 2 or 3 at a time. Smoke till 180 or so. Cut up and put in a foil pan with sauce and back on the smoker.
Just do searches on burnt ends.
Here is a link to the sauce I have been trying.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77446-Burnt-end-sauce
I havn't tried it with DR Pepper or Root beer yet. But I have 3 points in the freezer.
I will probably do it again next weekend.
The point has more fat,so needs to be cooked longer to melt some of the fat out. But can also easily be overcooked. I was over cooking them the first few i did.
The conventional way is to smoke a whole brisket. when the flat is done cut the point off and put the point back on for a few more hours to get burnt ends. But when you smoke the point alone it doesn't take near as much time because points are seldom over 3 pounds (the ones I get anyway).
It pretty much works like the flat. When the temp probe glides through like butter,it's time to chop them into cubes and simmer a couple more hours.
Of course if you aren't trying to make burnt ends them this is absolutely no help :)

Last edited:
I find it better to cook the point and flat together, and it's super rare to find just a point. Some places do have them, so if you find it, go for it.

I find it better to cook the point and flat together, and it's super rare to find just a point. Some places do have them, so if you find it, go for it.

Costco carries packers, flats and points. I'd bet Restaurant Depot does as well. In grocery stores, I almost always see flats or points, almost never a full packer.

I dont bother with burnt ends
Well rendered point makes best brisket sandwiches youll ever eat.

When you find places selling a trimmed flat, they usually want 6.99 /lb for it. Ive never seen the point for sale alone.

Off topic, read article a couple weeks ago....the proliferation of pellet smokers (easy) is driving up price of brisket and other historically cheap cuts of meat .

But to answer OP, yeah, i cook point alone if i separate brisket to make pastrami from the flat. Last time i cut the point into two parts, and tied together with twine to make a log shape to help it cook evenly

Last edited:
The only points I see are corned.
When I do packers I save the point for chili or beans, but it does make a great sammy.:)

Tim

Back