Hello from the Great State of Arizona!

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
Hi all...my name is Ken and I just bought my first smoker last week; a WSM 18.5. I'm shooting for the stars tomorrow...my first whole brisket goes on in the morning!

I'm looking forward to being a common participant here, as I tend to be very active in any forums that I join. I look forward to gleaning some of the fine expertise that I am sure resides within this membership!

Happy fourth and God Bless America.

Ken

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Ken. This is a very friendly place to talk BBQ and BBQ toys. Hope that Brisket came out great.

The brisket came out absolutely AMAZING! I risked a rub beyond the basic salt & pepper and used a cocoa/coffee/chili rub that was perfect for the beef flavors. 10lb brisket took about 7 hours total at 250-275F.

I was very impressed by the efficiency of the 18.5. Since I didn’t really have a great feel for how long the burn could last, I loaded the charcoal to the top of the ring. After I pulled the brisket I kept monitoring the burn...it want nearly 15 hours before dropping below 235. Incredible!

Welcome Ken, and glad your brisket turned out great for you. We just did one a couple of days ago also. If you love to grill you are in the right place. We have lots of great cooks and we all have fun doing it. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks. Its nice to see some other Arizona people joining the forum.

Wow, shooting for the stars by doing a brisket as your first cook! I followed the advice of people here by doing a small pork butt (3lb), then pork ribs, and beef ribs. Glad to hear that it turned out well. Welcome to the forums!

Back