Hot & Fast Brisket - Quick Question!

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
Hello folks, I'm a new member and I'm attempting my first whole brisket on my WSM 18.5 for the 4th tomorrow. I'm stoked! BUT...as with all things I tend to overthink.

For those of you that are experienced pit masters and have done several briskets using the High Heat method; here is the question:

Fat side UP or DOWN after you foil wrap and place it back on the smoker?

The recipe on this site calls for fat side down during the initial cook, but then to reverse it and place the fat side up in the wrap. It just seems to me that boiling that beautiful crust face down in a puddle of juices in the foil wrap would not do the crust any favors.

What say you?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Fat side up is suppose to bathe the brisket in rendered fat juices and fat side down is suppose to protect the meat from the heat. I have never had luck foiling and getting crispy crust. If your concerned with crust I would try butcher paper instead of foil or don’t wrap at all. As far as fat side up or down I always do up but I bet there are plenty of people who cook it fat side down with great success. I would also be more likely to wrap a choice brisket then a prime or better.

I don't think I have foiled one yet either. I have used butcher paper so far. But in reality there probably isn't THAT much difference.
I would foil it fat side up. And if you are worried about soggy crust,I would unwrap it and put it back on the smoker the last hour or so,fat side down.
But take what I say with several grains of salt,AND several grains of pepper. I am no "pit master". But I have successfully smoked a few briskets

I'm not a pit master but I have read a time or two, here, where folks have lost some bark by placing the fat cap down after the wrap.

Back