The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mods are worth the $$$

What mods are worth the $$$

Ive upgraded to a 22 wsm and an atc with it. Had the atc about six months and love it. The only other mod Im doing at the moment is the arbor fab charcoal ring. Between the atc and the additional charcoal capacity Im figuring Im good for 20 plus hours with nothing more then stirring coals and water top off. Do the stainless steel doors make the smoker more efficient and in everyones opinion does it save enough fuel to justify the cost? What if any other mods does everyone recommend?

I add wheel kits to everyone I sell.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I think the door just for aesthetic reasons alone is a good purchase. I can't quantify how much more fuel you'd save. I doubt it would justify the cost. If your ATC is doing fine I don't think I'd go there for that reason. For me, without an ATC it made it a little easier to control my temps.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I'm expecting my door tomorrow, and I'll let you know how much tighter it fits, but I can see the cheesy aluminum stock door getting bent at some point and I just don't want to deal with it in the middle of a smoke. For that reason alone I wanted it.

But I also agree with the last response; who cares if the door leaks a little if you're using an ATC? If you buy it, buy it for the look and longevity.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I only modified my technique, and it's worked great for me with a stock WSM.

It kinda sounds like cost is not the deciding factor based on what you're doing, lol. I upgraded my door for the sake of a more robust latch. One of my stock latches "fell apart" twice and, so, that's why I did the upgrade. Aside from peace of mind the new door was no better than my stock. And I'm sure countless others will attest to using their stock doors for 10 years without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KToliver View Post
    I'm expecting my door tomorrow, and I'll let you know how much tighter it fits, but I can see the cheesy aluminum stock door getting bent at some point and I just don't want to deal with it in the middle of a smoke. For that reason alone I wanted it.

But I also agree with the last response; who cares if the door leaks a little if you're using an ATC? If you buy it, buy it for the look and longevity.
    So, I installed my new SS door this past weekend and am smoking my first pork butt today. The new door provides a significantly better seal around the edges; smoke escape from this area was reduced to pretty much zero versus the stock door which passed a pretty large amount when the smoker is first lit. Granted; this is not the normal state of affairs since once the smoker comes up to temp and the vent/exhaust draft is well established, the air leakage should be inward, not outward.

Nevertheless, I do expect superior temp control and reduced fuel use with the reduced leakage; I do not need to be concerned that leakage around the door is stoking my fire every time the wind kicks up. The SS door is very rigid versus the walls of the WSM; that square cutout in the WSM is subject to some flexing based on the wall thickness. The SS door literally flattens the edges of the cut opening in the WSM when you push it shut, eliminating that flex and providing a superior seal.

Glad I bought it.
    Last edited by KToliver; 07-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I would point out that some people who have bought the cajun bandit door have still had issues with a leak due to a difference in curvature between the door and middle section. I actually had to bend my door slightly to make it work.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    I only modified my technique, and it's worked great for me with a stock WSM.
    Totally agree, stock WSM's have served me well for 11yrs on the 18.5" and 7 yrs on the big boy, and they both have the cheesy aluminum door.
    Only thing is I wired the charcoal grate to the ring on both and did the double grate mod ( I use lump)
    Added wheels and handles on the 18.5" and that was worth it.
    Means and methods are up to the individual, and as long as you think it's worth it... Go for it.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I would point out that some people who have bought the cajun bandit door have still had issues with a leak due to a difference in curvature between the door and middle section. I actually had to bend my door slightly to make it work.
    Bought one.....sold it immediately. Useless waste of $.

It grinds porcelain off bottom corners of door opening. Flexes wsm metal there and will crack finish, and still doesnt seal any better than a well cared for and adjusted aluminum door. The bend isnt deep an sharp enough at bottom.

Weber knew what they were doing with aluminum. Just dont step on it. The larger door on 22 might be more trouble than 18.

I dont even use my door. With extended coal ring and atc, dont need a door at all. It stays closed.

Handles are only other thing you need. Wheels only good on smooth surface. Maybe notch for wires.
    Last edited by MartinB; 07-13-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast