The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What mods are worth the $$$

I have a very early 22" with the square opening that I recently revived to remedy issues I've had from day one. I always fought temps, even with an ATC (old white box stoker). So I just installed a gasket kit, cajun bandit door, and unknownbbq hinge. I did a test cook after everything was installed and the difference was amazing. I set it at 250, then up to 350, then 400 and held it there for over an hour. Then I dropped it back to 250 and held it there for an hour. Finally, I closed off everything and the fire went out completely with left over coals ready for the next cook. Previously, I never once had left over coals; it's a night and day difference from before the gaskets and door. And that hinge is fantastic. All three mods are worth the money, time and effort, in my opinion.

I also replaced the dampers and lid thermometer (filled with water), bought new grates, and drilled a hole for the Weber probe grommet. I know most folks around here cut the rim for their probe wires, but I don't even own an angle grinder, let alone know how to use it, so grommet it is. Next mod is a set of handles. I'm also considering the cajun bandit charcoal basket and some form of wheels wheeled platform (because I would like the extra height).

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grotz View Post
    I have a very early 22" with the square opening that I recently revived to remedy issues I've had from day one. I always fought temps, even with an ATC (old white box stoker). So I just installed a gasket kit, cajun bandit door, and unknownbbq hinge. I did a test cook after everything was installed and the difference was amazing. I set it at 250, then up to 350, then 400 and held it there for over an hour. Then I dropped it back to 250 and held it there for an hour. Finally, I closed off everything and the fire went out completely with left over coals ready for the next cook. Previously, I never once had left over coals; it's a night and day difference from before the gaskets and door. And that hinge is fantastic. All three mods are worth the money, time and effort, in my opinion.

I also replaced the dampers and lid thermometer (filled with water), bought new grates, and drilled a hole for the Weber probe grommet. I know most folks around here cut the rim for their probe wires, but I don't even own an angle grinder, let alone know how to use it, so grommet it is. Next mod is a set of handles. I'm also considering the cajun bandit charcoal basket and some form of wheels wheeled platform (because I would like the extra height).
    I'm telling you, I love my Cajun Bandit SS door. I cooked 8 hours yesterday on 2/3 fire ring of coal in my WSM 18.5. Shut all the vents right after and have a lot of charcoal left over this morning for next time. That one item alone really helps stop the air infiltration.
    WSM 18.5, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

I think the most important one is wheels. I did the Cajun bandit door, coal ring, and casters and a TT BQ300 on my 22Ē. Love all the mods so far.

TVWBB All-Star
    I never needed a mod except for my old 19.5" which didn't come with a dome thermometer - I added one. Fiddled around with an empty water pan and a clay pot base in the water pan (both foiled) and that worked well. Finally added a Hunsaker Vortex Basket and took out the water pan, and that's what I'm using now. Added just the Hunsaker Vortex Plate to my bil's 22" and took out the water pan - that works great.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

I was looking at amazingribs.com today. Meathead gives the WSM 18 a platinum medal, but the WSM 22 only gets a silver. The reason? The 22 straight out of the box leaks like a sieve and he could not get the temps down below 275.

"The door leaks smoke and lets in oxygen, making it hard to shut down the supply of oxygen and kill the coals. We bent ours slightly to make it fit better, but wondered how Weber could craft the door so poorly after crafting the other parts so well. ... On the other hand, it is hard to get temp down below 275F on the 22.5 incher."

https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker...oker-22-review

I'm amazed how much better my 22 cooks after installing the CB door and a gasket kit. I bet if Meathead re-tested a 22 with those two mods, it would rate a platinum medal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12